• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Syncing 25 Macs to Play Video

Auz

Reaction score
For a project of mine, I will be using a school computer lab to play 25 DVD's (or any other video format) each the same length that need to be in sync with each other. It doesn't have to be to the frame, but within a few seconds at the very most.

I am trying to figure out how to start them all at the same time without having 25 people pressing play all at once. I might be able to install some kind of (cheap?) software, but that would need to be discussed with the lab manager. I've heard of KeyShowX. Anyone used it before?

Any other suggestions?

The Macs in the lab are a mix of Mac minis and eMacs.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I looked at the page for KeyShowX and it looks like it is meant for Keynote and Powerpoint only.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
But how do you put a DVD into Powerpoint? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB memory, 160GB hard drive, Leopard, 20" Widescreen Samsung Display
How close will the 25 Macs be to you? Bit of an off the wall idea, but doesn't the apple remote work on all mac's, so maybe you could use that to start all the DVD's at the same time?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.