Considering switching to a new Mac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
aluminum MacBook: 2.4GHZ Core 2 Duo, 3GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDEA GeForce 9400M, 250 GB HDD (32GB for Vista)
I'm currently a PC user. I've had an Apple once in the household that belonged to me, a refurbished iMac G3 with Tiger, 40GB HD, 256 MB RAM, 400 MHZ, and a DVD drive. I had it for a little over a year then I switched back to a PC last December ($100 BIN from an eBay seller!). It's a Dell OptiPlex from 2002 I believe that has a 2.0GHZ Pentium 4 processor, XP Pro, 256 MB RAM, 40 GB HD, a floppy drive, and a combo drive. I like it a lot, and it's my workhorse computer. I'm a blues musician and my initial intention was to use copies of Sony Acid and Sony SoundForge I owned to record and I did that for a little while, but I didn't like it as much as my old G3 with GarageBand 2 (from iLife '05). The speed of both of these machines are/were fine, but I'd really like something faster. I'm on my computers nonstop for schoolwork and personal use. I have my tools I used on my iMac for video (when I used iMovie HD from iLife '05) that I can't use them because of my Dell's RAM, no 2.0 USB (1.1), the lack of software I currently don't have, and it has no FireWire port. I've been highly considering the switch to a MacBook Pro because I'm in high school and want something that's portable, reliable, and does what I want it to. None of the MacBooks suit my needs, but the new $2k MBP ($1900 with student discount) does. I went to the Apple store last Friday and it blew me away. I'm a little while away from this computer and don't know if I should go spend the money or not by the time I make a choice and have the money to spend. I'd need to also go buy iWork, VMWare Fusion, and a copy of Windows XP for what I plan to do. However, I could just upgrade my Dell with a new 250GB HD, 1 GB RAM (maxed out), a new display, a FW/USB card, a DVD+RW drive, and some software and do that for less than $400. I'd like the Apple for the feel, use of programs, reliability, and portability, but do I want to spend that much money when I could use money I have to upgrade my PC? My old iMac was having consistant internet/WiFi and DVD drive issues within 6-9 months of the purchase/refurbish, and the only problem I've had with my Dell is a currupt downloaded version of Internet Explorer 7 that decreased the speed of my computer. That was a $50 2-day fix that was simple and a problem with a Mac (no way can I afford Apple Care on top of everything else) would result in bringing it into the Apple store, sending it to Apple, have them cause cosmetic damage, and expecting to pay a few hundred dollars and a long wait. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
aluminum MacBook: 2.4GHZ Core 2 Duo, 3GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDEA GeForce 9400M, 250 GB HDD (32GB for Vista)
So my question is: is there any PC software that's like GarageBand where you can do the virtual band kind of thing, change keys and tempo, play your instrument through speakers or headphones, and multi-track record all in one piece of software. I have Sony Acid (PC), but I can't simulaniously multitrack, change keys after recording, change tempo after recording, play along through speakers or headphones, or do the GarageBand virtual band kind of thing. I don't want to have to buy and use at the same time ProTools, Amazing Slow-Downer, and Band-In-a-Box...$500 too! If there is something, let me know ASAP!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06 ghz 4gb Ram 1tb, Ipod Touch 1g, iPhone 3G, iBook G4 1.2ghz 1.25 GB
Absolutely do NOT listen to Joel406....Sounds like he is a Windoze fanboy.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What would be your suggestion then skierbri10? Obviously a Mac in your opinion, but any suggestions as far as which one?

Reaction score
Your definitly better off upgrageing your current Dell.

Todays Macs are way to buggy. Vista out performs it in so many ways I dont have time to list it all.

But for what you want to do a PC is really the best way to go.

Its cheaper, more reliable and your software choices are so much better.

I have never heard such a completely incorrect statement in my life!

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, it's just somebody's opinion. If it was so incorrect, I wouldn't have put in this entry to the forum. I personally don't have a huge preference of Leopard over XP or Vista, I just like some of the software that's compatible with new Macs better is all. So I don't know if I should upgrade my PC A LOT with the money I have or if I should get a MBP, get screwed in debt, and have to get a job during my freshman year (high school being hard enough without one). Is it really worth it for just the feeling of a Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alumibook 2.4, 4GB | 1TB Time Capsule | 30GB Video iPod
If you aren't sold on the specifics of the new macs. I would recommend checking out refurbished last gen mac pro's. Much less expensive and still a lot of computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.