New MacBook Pro track pad and middle-click

Reaction score
I've just bought one of the new MacBook Pro's with the multi-touch buttonless trackpad and mostly love it so far.

One of the main things I use my laptop for is to VPN to my work where I write code for Linux, and thus make a large use of X11. I'm very accustomed to selecting text and using the middle button to paste, and with my previous laptop made use of a 3-button USB mouse. Given the nature of the new trackpad with its ability to right-click as well as left-click I was hoping that there would be a built in means of doing a middle click as well, but as far as I can tell that capability doesn't currently exist.

Can anyone point me towards a means of adding this ability to the trackpad, or if not pointers to where I might start to develop my own solution?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Good question. I remote on to AIX UNIX systems and was wondering the same things.

Reaction score
I have one of the new models on the way, too, and I'm a bit worried about that. I use middle-click for "open in new tab" in Firefox (Windows) A LOT, and I was hoping to find something similar in OS X.

Reaction score
Within X windows you can select the X11 preferences and check "Emulate three button mouse" Once you do this then holding down the option/alt key with a left click will give you a middle click. There might be a similar setting in firefox.

Good luck.

Reaction score
This helped a bunch

Even though this thread is a little old it's the top hit on google for "trackpad middle click," which is what searched for when I found out there was no Apple-provided way to do a middle click on my Magic Trackpad.

Further down the page I eventually found Better Touch Tool. It solved my problem.

get it here: Great Tools For Your Mac By Andreas Hegenberg BetterTouchTool & SecondBar or just search for it by name. Should be the top hit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.