• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

wierd G5 DVD burning Issue

Reaction score
This is a sort of complex issue that i will try my best to explain. I have a april 2005 power mac g5 dual 2.0. running tiger. I have used in as a editing suite for since 2006. running final cut pro.

it all started back in july when my superdrive crapped out. Applecare sent a guy out to put a new one in. It work ok. It would fail occassionally but nothing to serious. Then fast foward. I moved my computer into a studio equipped with internet. So I ran software updater and updated everything. Before that everything was the orginal version. Since then the dvd burning fails on verification everytime. It doesn't matter which program i use (iDVD, burn, disk utility, finder) they all fail durning verification. Furthermore it burns playable CDs and data disks fine.

This is what i've done to solve the problem. talk to apple care. they told me to reinstall OSX i did that using archive install. That didn't work then i did an total reinstall that worked but when i updated the software the same problem came back. Why are these updates doing this? Is there some solution to this problem other then a OSX reinstall?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.