G5's and upgrading RAM

D

d-funct

Hi,

I've just tried to upgrade the RAM in my G5 Dual 1.8 processor system and it just won't see the diffrence in MacOSX 10.3.7 ... what I'm I doing wrong?

First I tried 2x512mb Geil Goldern Dragon PC3500 then I moved on to my 2x 256mb of Corsair XMS PC3200 and it still did'nt work :S anybody got any clues to what I'm doing wrong?

BTW the reason I got all this ram just lying around is because I use to be a hardcore PC geek till i saw the mac light.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
do do believe you need:

ddr400 SDRAM (pc3200)

i guess you need to make sure your using the right memory...that and make sure you install it correctly
-chris

OP
D

d-funct

Yeah thats why I tried the Corsair but it still won't work ... and I really don't want to have to shell out for more RAM when I've got a gig and a half lying around ...

Just wondering are there any jumpers/options in the OS?

Reaction score
d-funct said:
Hi,

I've just tried to upgrade the RAM in my G5 Dual 1.8 processor system and it just won't see the diffrence in MacOSX 10.3.7 ... what I'm I doing wrong?

First I tried 2x512mb Geil Goldern Dragon PC3500 then I moved on to my 2x 256mb of Corsair XMS PC3200 and it still did'nt work :S anybody got any clues to what I'm doing wrong?

BTW the reason I got all this ram just lying around is because I use to be a hardcore PC geek till i saw the mac light.

The Power Mac G5 dual 2.0 will use the Corsair Pc3200 400 ram, however it does not like or use Pc3200 433 ram so unless you have Pc3200 400 it probably isn't going to work.

OP
D

d-funct

I kinda expected that the PC3500 (433) would just default to a slower speed of PC3200 (400)

The Corsair I'm *trying* to use is PC3200 (400mhz) it doesn't want to see it in MacOS ...

Are there any Limits on the Timings?

Reaction score
d-funct said:
I kinda expected that the PC3500 (433) would just default to a slower speed of PC3200 (400)

The Corsair I'm *trying* to use is PC3200 (400mhz) it doesn't want to see it in MacOS ...

Are there any Limits on the Timings?

Actually, it doesn't...when i install the 433 ram it doesn't see it at all... and if i take out the 400 ram and just have the 433 in, then it refuses to even boot untill i take out the 433 and put the 400 back in...Are you using the xms3200 512mb 400mhz Corsair? That should work, it works on mine...

One further question... You say you have a dual unit...you are putting in pairs of chips, not just one right? Ya, i know, it's a silly question, but it has to be asked...duals require that you install ram in pairs... 1 in each bank...

Other than that, don't know what to tell ya, it works here...

OP
D

d-funct

I'm using the Corsair XMS PC3200 256mb modules with the winbond BH-5 Chips and I'm installing one on each side ... I tried getting it to boot with just the Corsair in an it just refuses ... it sucks that it the RAM won't just default to a slower speed oh well I'll just have to see what I can get for the BH-5 Chips on Ebay

OP
A

arossco

I've just ordered a G5 1800 Dual, and was hoping to add 2 "512mb Corsair Value Select DDR PC3200 400 CL=3 Non ECC Unbuffered" modules.

I realise that these are the cheaper Corsair modules - are they likely to work in the G5 ?

OP
E

.emo.

The G5 cant mix ram!
it can only use pc2700 and pc3200

so take what i just siad and figure out what you need to do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.