Disk drive is not working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GM ram, 128mb vram, Macbook, iPhone 3G 8g
Hi, I have a macbook pro running mac OSX version 10.4.11 with a 2.16 GHz processor intel core 2 duo.

When I put a CD in, any CD, it will spin, but not get registered and the disk will get ejected.

Does anyone have any steps to help me solve this problem?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
Hi, I have a macbook pro running mac OSX version 10.4.11 with a 2.16 GHz processor intel core 2 duo.

When I put a CD in, any CD, it will spin, but not get registered and the disk will get ejected.

Does anyone have any steps to help me solve this problem?

Thanks.

Have you tried a the CD in a different machine? That way you can see if the problem lies with the CD or the drive.

Reaction score
same problem

I am having this same problem, however only with Data disks. I did try to run the disks on another machine and it worked fine.

Any help in the matter would be great.

Thanks

Reaction score
Hi , Jay Ray , I have meet the same problem recently , if you know the processing method please give me some suggestion.
my email is "deleted"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Reaction score
I had this same problem, I think. When I inserted a CD, it went in and made a sound as if it was spinning, but it sounded like the CD wasn't even on the spindle. The spindle would spin really fast 3 times, and then eject the CD. I tried a few things before simply shutting down my computer and restarting it. If you notice, whenever you turn your MacBook Pro on, the CD drive makes a noise as if it's resetting itself. Anyway, restarting the computer seemed to work because the CD went in and worked just fine without any weird noises or ejecting. Hope this helps..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Optical drive failures are probably the second most common repair on MacBooks or MacBook Pros, following closely behind hard drive repairs. If a drive will read some media but not others, it may be something as simple as a dirty lens on the laser. A can of compressed air blown into the optical drive bay can move dust around enough to help sometimes. If not, the laser may no longer have the proper strength to read one type of media, but still be strong enough to read another. I've seen this a lot with DVD-RW and CD-RW disks; or in some cases with DVD-ROMs, but audio CDs work fine.

If the unit is under warranty, no brainer - take it in, have it replaced. If the warranty has expired, a 3rd party repair or do-it-yourself replacement is probably the way to go. MCE Technology has compatible drives for $139 if you install it yourself, or installations and shipping for up to $99, depending on how much you want to do on your own ($99 is pretty much doing nothing).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MPB
Something similar happened to my MBP recently. It would read and write CDs just fine, sometimes read DVDs but stopped writing DVDs altogether. After the usual troubleshooting then cleaning the drive with air and a drive cleaner disk I ended up having the drive replaced. Fortunately, my local Apple store replaced the drive free of charge even though the machine was a few weeks out of warranty.

If you're comfortable opening up your machine, replacing the drive should be a fairly simple DIY job.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.