BootCamp: Urgent Help Please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
Right I've partitioned my HDD to install Windows XP. I put the XP CD in and clicked install. The computer shut down and then the screen went black.

I was like this for ages so I switched it off and then back on. Now I can't boot it at all! When I turn it on the screen goes grey as usual, then black with a flashing line at the top of the screen.

What do I do!? The XP CD is still in the machine and I can't get it out!

HELP!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Your "Mac Specs" list a Powerbook G4 15". If that's true, Boot Camp is not compatible. You must have an Intel-powered Mac.

The next time you turn on your Powerbook, hold the Option key down. This will allow you the choice to boot your machine into OS X. Once done, run the Boot Camp Assistant and have it restore your drive to one partition.

OP
hojkoff_101
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
Your "Mac Specs" list a Powerbook G4 15". If that's true, Boot Camp is not compatible. You must have an Intel-powered Mac.

The next time you turn on your Powerbook, hold the Option key down. This will allow you the choice to boot your machine into OS X. Once done, run the Boot Camp Assistant and have it restore your drive to one partition.

I've changed my mac to a macbook since I've typed all that lot in.

Right I'll give the options key a bash.

Since the typing of that message I have managed to make some progress. I've managed to boot the XP setup. I installed XP then when finished the computer went to reboot. However on this it says that "to boot from CD press a key" I don't want to do that so I just leave it, then it reads disc error.

Any thoughts?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've changed my mac to a macbook since I've typed all that lot in.

Right I'll give the options key a bash.

Since the typing of that message I have managed to make some progress. I've managed to boot the XP setup. I installed XP then when finished the computer went to reboot. However on this it says that "to boot from CD press a key" I don't want to do that so I just leave it, then it reads disc error.

Any thoughts?

If you don't attempt to boot from the CD, the system will try to boot the Windows partition. If the Windows partition didn't install properly or something is wrong with the partition structure, you may get a disc error.

What kind of Windows disc did you use?

The Boot Camp installation instructions are very specific on the type of disc you can use. If it's Windows XP, it MUST be a full version of Windows (not an upgrade). It must have SP2 integrated and it can not be an OEM-branded disc (i.e. it can't be one that came with another computer, if it has "Dell" or "HP" on it, for example, it's not going to work). You can use an "OEM for System Builders" disc, but again, it must have SP2 integrated at a minimum.

Reaction score
If you don't attempt to boot from the CD, the system will try to boot the Windows partition. If the Windows partition didn't install properly or something is wrong with the partition structure, you may get a disc error.

What kind of Windows disc did you use?

The Boot Camp installation instructions are very specific on the type of disc you can use. If it's Windows XP, it MUST be a full version of Windows (not an upgrade). It must have SP2 integrated and it can not be an OEM-branded disc (i.e. it can't be one that came with another computer, if it has "Dell" or "HP" on it, for example, it's not going to work). You can use an "OEM for System Builders" disc, but again, it must have SP2 integrated at a minimum.

I'm having pretty much the same exact problem right now. I started up bootcamp, partitioned about 35 gigs for windows, and during the installation process I lost power. After reading your post I realized that the windows disk I used says dell on it so as you said, it won't work. The problem is, when I boot my macbook pro it goes from a white screen to the black screen with the blinking cursor line.

Now, I did as you said and held the option key as I booted it and i was brought to another screen. This screen had two options. One was a picture of a hard drive with the word "windows" under it. The other was a disc with the word "Windows" under it. All I want to do it boot up OS X and pretend this never happened and I'm starting to get nervous.

This is my school laptop so there's alot of important stuff on it that I can't afford to lose, so I'm hoping to god I won't have to reinstall leopard or anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm having pretty much the same exact problem right now. I started up bootcamp, partitioned about 35 gigs for windows, and during the installation process I lost power. After reading your post I realized that the windows disk I used says dell on it so as you said, it won't work. The problem is, when I boot my macbook pro it goes from a white screen to the black screen with the blinking cursor line.

Now, I did as you said and held the option key as I booted it and i was brought to another screen. This screen had two options. One was a picture of a hard drive with the word "windows" under it. The other was a disc with the word "Windows" under it. All I want to do it boot up OS X and pretend this never happened and I'm starting to get nervous.

This is my school laptop so there's alot of important stuff on it that I can't afford to lose, so I'm hoping to god I won't have to reinstall leopard or anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry to say it, but if you don't see 'Macintosh HD' appear as one of the options, then it's very likely you nuked your OS X partition somewhere along the line. You can return your hard disk to a single partition using Disk Utility (you'll need to boot from your system discs). Then simply restore your system from the backup you made prior to installing Boot Camp.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.