Putting new graphics card into iMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum Duo Core 20" iMac|
I have the 20 inch iMAC mid 2007 aluminum, I was wondering if I can buy a better video card and install it, I am pretty savvy with this kind of stuff but just don't know if its possible. I have a 600 dollar graphics card that I want to put it my iMAC, if this as at all possible please tell me. The most I have done installation wise was just putting more ram in the iMAC. IF someone could give me a hint what to do, go to apple and have them install it? I know it will void my warranty if I do this, and I'm fine with it.

Thanks.:Evil:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
First there are no slots (AGP PCIx PCI) in an iMac. 2nd the computer is all on one circuit board. The Video is part of that board. There is no way to change the Video card (Chipset) on your iMac.

Sorry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
With respect, you don't sound that savvy! ;D

It's just a chip soldered to the logic board.

OP
CorruptioN
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum Duo Core 20" iMac|
Yeah, I was reading online and some people were saying that it was soldered into the board, then some weren't. So I didn't know which to believe, but even if I brought it into the apple store they couldn't put another one in there for me? All I want to do is run WoW, I used to run it on my PC but I was playing it so much before that I sold that pc to help me stop playing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
The newest 24" iMac does go through a connector, but it is very uncommon and you probably won't find an off the shelf video card that has it. This is what made the 24" upgradable to a 8800GS if ordered that way.

Reaction score
Your iMac should be more than capable of running WoW, why on earth do you feel the need to upgrade the graphics card? I've never played it but I understand it is not that demanding on the graphics card, as people are running it fine on Macbooks (With integrated graphics!).

I have the same model iMac and it runs far more demanding games than WoW without a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Have you got the Radeon 2600 or 2400?

Reaction score
I have the 2600 but, as the system requirements of World of Warcraft appear so low (ATi or NVidia with 32MB VR minimum, 64MB recommended), then even the 2400 should be more than ample, if WoW is all the OP needs it to run.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
The Graphic Cards on the iMac infact isn't a card. It is a Integrated chipset that is soldered into the Logic board. This Cant be done. The only Mac that has a interchangeable Graphics Card is the Mac Pro.

Reaction score
Improving speed on my Mac with CS5

I recently purchased CS5 for my 2008 imac. I have 8G of memory and 2 GB of Ram and the CS5 program still runs extremely slow. I thought updating my graphics card might help but apparently you cannot do this. Does anyone have any advise? I also have plenty of space, still over 200 GB on my computer and have tried to cleanup any unecessary programs. I turn all other programs off when I run CS5 as well.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Does anyone have any advise?

I don't have any "advise" but I could offer some "advice"!;)

If you REALLY feel that CS5 is running too slowly on your 2008 iMac...then you really only have one option...and that's buy a newer & faster computer. There are no cpu or video card upgrades for your iMac.

This is what happens when you try to run the most cutting edge software (and very demanding software as well)...on an older computer. I bet CS4 would run fine.

- Nick

p.s. By the way...you probably should have started your own thread...you just responded to about a 2 year-old thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.