windows vista and bootcamp question

Reaction score
I have a Windows Anytime Upgrade disc which apparently contains 32 bit windows vista. I got it with a Acer Laptop about 6 months ago. Can this be used to install a windows partition on my new macbook using bootcamp?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Justin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
Legally you will need to buy a new copy to use with your MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Technically, just give it a go. Nothing to lose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum Duo Core 20" iMac|
I just recently tried that and it didn't work, its the upgrade disk right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
OP
N
Reaction score
SO your telling me that the only legitimate way to install windows vista on my new macbook is to drop another 200+ on vista software.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
SO your telling me that the only legitimate way to install windows vista on my new macbook is to drop another 200+ on vista software.

Yes. Generally, if you want to use a product, you have to buy it - otherwise, that would be theft.

The copy of Windows that accompanied your Acer is specifically licensed for the hardware it was sold with. So, legally, you are only entitled to use it on the Acer. Additionally, it may be customized for installation on Acer hardware in terms of drivers and whatnot.

Reaction score
And, boot camp only works with a full Windows install disk. It will NOT work with an upgrade disk. No point in trying it - this forum is full of posts from people who did and really messed up their Macs. Print out the Boot Camp documentation from Apple and read it - the documentation is VERY clear that you need a full disk.

You can buy an OEM disk of Windows XP or Vista from Newegg.com for a lot less than 200. You can buy Vista home premium OEM disk, for example, for 99. But it's not going to be free. Only you can decide if it's worth it.

Personally, I bought OEM versions of XP from newegg for all my Macs and they worked great.

And as for violations of the EULA, don't go there - you won't get any support on this forum for it.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.