• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

new apple ads, kinda enjoyed them

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
*** is with that 2nd commercial? It's ironic that Mac has spent the majority of their cash on advertising for the last decade. Heck, it's the only reason they manage to sell computers; that's what they're even known for. Windows advertisements have been quite rare, and rather simple until the newest batch.

As for the first one, Microsoft doesn't call Windows Vista by it's name? Did Apple miss the "Windows Mojave Experiment" commercials? "This is Windows Vista? Wow!"

I sorta like the "I'm a PC" ads. They show you regular people use Windows and PC. All the Mac commercials are smug and pedantic.

That being said, I love my Mac.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
EGGO, I laugh at some of the ads from both camps but see your point to an extent. I liked the one from Blimp TV on Vista. Sure it was exgerated but that is what made it so funny! No way Vista crashes and gets all those different error screens. I have never had a crash on Vista as yet. Did I just say that? Why yes I did! :D It's the truth though!

I love my Macs also! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
Mojave experiment was amazing. I think it speaks more towards the way people react to new things than it does to the quality of the product.

Reaction score
I laughed at both of the adds =] But really how did those people in the Mojave experiment not realize that was vista?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I like the Japanese Apple Commercials better.

That Mojave thing was really stupid. Lets trick people into thinking it's new. Most of those people probably never even used vista before in their lives to begin with and just jumped on the Vista Sucks bandwagon.

I use it but not very often. I have to thank the man up stairs for that. ^-^

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Mojave experiment was amazing. I think it speaks more towards the way people react to new things than it does to the quality of the product.

The Mojave Experiment commercials were a joke. Let's think about this critically:

You, an ordinary Joe are called to sit on a focus group for Microsoft. You sit down one-on-one with a friendly person who's going to demonstrate a new operating system. You've probably been selected for this group because you have a passing knowledge of computers, but are not what one would consider an expert. The demonstrator cherry picks all the coolest eye candy to display, along with a couple of programs and features that have been built into Windows in different incarnations since 3.1.

Are you really going to say to the person (again, one on one with no one else around) "Hey, ya know what? This SUCKS". No, you're probably going to say "Hey thanks for the cookies and the check for $50, this looks sweet - let me know when you have the next focus group".

Objective focus groups are done in a group setting, because people are far more apt to be critical if they are part of a group that is discussing a product - particularly one that they've been given to use hands-on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
The Mojave Experiment commercials were a joke. Let's think about this critically:

You, an ordinary Joe are called to sit on a focus group for Microsoft. You sit down one-on-one with a friendly person who's going to demonstrate a new operating system. You've probably been selected for this group because you have a passing knowledge of computers, but are not what one would consider an expert. The demonstrator cherry picks all the coolest eye candy to display, along with a couple of programs and features that have been built into Windows in different incarnations since 3.1.

This is *drumroll* advertising. BMW does it, Mercedes does it, Apple is certainly guilty of it too. A lot of what BMW advertises to be a cool or new feature is old, just it was never advertised (the moving headlights that were advertised 2008? It's been a thing with HIDs for a while). Choosing the coolest features is what it's all about. Isn't that what the Mac ads do (albeit misleading/false/pedantic)?

I've certainly told people in focus groups (one-on-one and in a group setting) when something sucks. But then again, when they find out I'm in the advertising business, they rip up my sheet and have me go on my merry way.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
This is *drumroll* advertising. BMW does it, Mercedes does it, Apple is certainly guilty of it too. A lot of what BMW advertises to be a cool or new feature is old, just it was never advertised (the moving headlights that were advertised 2008? It's been a thing with HIDs for a while). Choosing the coolest features is what it's all about. Isn't that what the Mac ads do (albeit misleading/false/pedantic)?

I've certainly told people in focus groups (one-on-one and in a group setting) when something sucks. But then again, when they find out I'm in the advertising business, they rip up my sheet and have me go on my merry way.

What does Apple advertise that is misleading? Please give examples.

If you want to go in dept about advertisements and how companies advertise their products to be cool and whatnot lets talk about the 1984 Apple commercials with the running lady and the sledge hammer.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Sure, but the assertion is that Vista is just great, it's the public perception that is the problem. That's what I find ridiculous.

I'm not comparing Microsoft's advertising to anyone else's - just because others do it, doesn't make it right. My point was that Vista's reputation is well deserved and setting people up to give you a glowing 5 second snippet doesn't prove a thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

If you want to go in dept about advertisements and how companies advertise their products to be cool and whatnot lets talk about the 1984 Apple commercials with the running lady and the sledge hammer.

For one example, read my first post. Everybody knows about 1984. I'm talking about the latest advertising. Trends in this industry changes really fast. What was innovative in 2002 is now old and tired here in 2008.

Sure, but the assertion is that Vista is just great, it's the public perception that is the problem. That's what I find ridiculous.

I'm not comparing Microsoft's advertising to anyone else's - just because others do it, doesn't make it right. My point was that Vista's reputation is well deserved and setting people up to give you a glowing 5 second snippet doesn't prove a thing.

A lot of Vista defenders will say a lot of what is its problem are things you can easily turn off in the settings. A few mac users here (including dtravis, apparently) and I think the OS is solid (so far it crashed less than our macs). This doesn't mean I'd rather have that OS.

As for that Mojave commercial, personally, I don't like it or believe it because of one simple thing. I didn't see what was on that computer screen. I hate it. It won't ever make me believe it simply because of that. I hate testimonial advertisements. It's too much like those paid programs where they try to make you buy a book to make money and it worked for a ton of people. I didn't like the Burger King campaign when they did that Whopper stunt. The newest Windows commercials, though, feel more personable to me. More real.

With that out of the way, with the $300 million spent on Seinfeld in that canceled campaign for Windows, I think they should've spent it all on improving Vista.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For one example, read my first post. Everybody knows about 1984. I'm talking about the latest advertising. Trends in this industry changes really fast. What was innovative in 2002 is now old and tired here in 2008....

With that out of the way, with the $300 million spent on Seinfeld in that canceled campaign for Windows, I think they should've spent it all on improving Vista.

Thanks for stating the obvious?

I think the 2nd Mac commercial pretty much summed this up, but in a more humorous way.

I don't think the only reason why Apple can sell their computers is because they advertise.

For one I've never seen an Apple commercial on T.V. because I barely have time for it. In any case I somehow magically acquired 2 MBPs, a MB, and 3 iPods. Simple amazing, right?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A lot of Vista defenders will say a lot of what is its problem are things you can easily turn off in the settings. A few mac users here (including dtravis, apparently) and I think the OS is solid (so far it crashed less than our macs). This doesn't mean I'd rather have that OS.

I run Vista on my desktop, as well as in Boot Camp - it certainly is stable. My problem with it is what I like to call 'change for the sake of change'. As a Microsoft network admin since the NT4 days, I've watched Windows evolve in ways that made a fair bit of sense. For example, Network Neighborhood became My Network Places - that made sense since you could now pin paths, rather than simply browse machines. But in Vista it seems like Microsoft just reinvented the label instead of the process or technology - for no other reason than to differentiate it from XP.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
We can go on and on all night with both sides.

Jobs himself and Apple said the G4 BLEW DOWN a P4. I have the best of both here. Pay me a visit and I will show you which CPU in real life applications is faster. Do I hate the G4? No, Applications that use AltiVec really fly, but overall the P4 is faster. Jobs said, Implied it was not. Sure that is a while ago now but there are things said on both sides that are not true at all.

CWA, I agree with you on your last post on Vista. I Like Vista but it could have been a lot better and the memory usage will always get to me, but to say as some Mac Fans would say that Vista locks, crashes, gets 1000 Blue Screens daily are wrong. I believe in telling the truth.

For my own usage I love OSX to death. It has things that could be better like EVERYTHING else in this world, but it's a great OS and works with me. I like Vista more than I did after using it a while, but at the end of the day OSX is what I really love.

Anyone who really knows what is up in the whole Computer business knows that there are things in the Apple Ads that simply are not true, and the same goes for the countless XP, Vista bashing videos on You Tube. Some make me laugh for hours, but sometimes it's the shall we say, the SLIGHT mistruths that make it funny!

Everyone is guilty of bending the truth a bit to help sell their product. You know, the reason I love Macs and OSX as much as I do had NOTHING to do with a commercial, Friend, Person, Company. HANDS ON USE. I used OSX and in 20 minutes I wanted to use it for all my main computing! The Mac Ads might draw in some, but not people like me. Show me the product, let me use it a while. That will win me over faster than any person, ad or whatever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!

That upgrading is difficult and a hassle and that all PC's will need to eventually swap parts out where Apple computers do not.

At least, that's what I got from that particular ad.

Or that Microsoft spends all their money on marketing and advertisement. I believe that there weren't too many commericials out for MS at all until some what recently. Not in comparison to seeing iPod and Mac commercials at least once every time I turned the TV on.

Or the slogan, "It just works". I hate that one. That's a "valid" reason that I see people giving to those looking to switch. At least to them it is. It doesn't always just work. If you browse the internet and check your e-mail, then it normally just works, but if you're doing audio recording & processing, photography processing, etc... it doesn't always just work.

I get crashes with Adobe CS3 and even with Logic Pro on my MBP. I've never had CS2 crash on my Vista machine when I was using. I just like the layout of Adobe's products on OS X better.

Apple isn't perfect, but they're just doing what they're good at. Advertising.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...I get crashes with Adobe CS3 and even with Logic Pro on my MBP. I've never had CS2 crash on my Vista machine when I was using. I just like the layout of Adobe's products on OS X better.

Apple isn't perfect, but they're just doing what they're good at. Advertising.

I've never had any of the CS3 programs crash on me and I use them like almost every day with at least 20 documents open at a time.

Right now I'm using Illustrator to make a book right now for one of our assignments. Yes I know it's stupid and counter productive when I could be using inDesign but my instructor doesn't want me going ahead of the class. >_<"

Is there any company that can claim that they are perfect? I think we are just running around in circles with this discussion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I've never had any of the CS3 programs crash on me and I use them like almost every day with at least 20 documents open at a time.

Right now I'm using Illustrator to make a book right now for one of our assignments. Yes I know it's stupid and counter productive when I could be using inDesign but my instructor doesn't want me going ahead of the class. >_<"

Is there any company that can claim that they are perfect? I think we are just running around in circles with this discussion.

I was just pointing this out...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
stability is not one of apples great things

Since when? OS X, being based on BSD, which is itself a derivative of UNIX, is amongst the most stable OS platforms in the world. Sure, applications crash, but seldom have I ever seen the OS crash unless there was a hardware problem.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
stability is not one of apples great things

??? Where did you get that information from? I have many macs here with OSX Tiger and Leopard and most are running 24 a day. No crashes at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.