HELP! I bricked my iPhone in attempting to install custom firmware using iTunes 8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel (unibody), 2 GB RAM; iPhone 3Gs
I was attempting to upgrade my jailbroken iPhone firmware but I didn't know that iTunes 8 wouldn't allow me to do it using the custom firmware. So what happened was iTunes 8 restored it to the default firmware. I am using a first gen iPhone in Canada and I can't connect to my network, so now I am phone-less.

I need to be able to use my phone but I can't at the moment! iTunes just loads a blank iPhone. My phone doesn't let me go anywhere with it, it just says "slide for emergency calls" or whatevs. I can't access anything on the actual phone, and the phone doesn't load anything in iTunes. It won't let me access anything on my phone!

I tried using an older version of iTunes to access my phone but it says that my iPhone can't be read with the older version and I must connect with the newer version, but when I use iTunes 8 it doesn't do anything other than load a blank phone! :(

PLEASE HELP ME!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1/1/120, Powerbook G4 12" 1.3/768/60, iPhone 8GB T-Mobile :) , iPod Shuffle
What a bummer! Were you using 3rd party software like PwnageTool to create the custom firmware? If not, where did you get the .ipsw? Post exactly what you did from the beginning, and I'm sure we can get your phone back up and running :)

OP
ekologik
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel (unibody), 2 GB RAM; iPhone 3Gs
What a bummer! Were you using 3rd party software like PwnageTool to create the custom firmware? If not, where did you get the .ipsw? Post exactly what you did from the beginning, and I'm sure we can get your phone back up and running :)

ok so i got QuickPwn and fixed it.. :D

thanks anyway!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
Some times the MODs get a little iffy when people start talking about JailBroken iPhones. Please Note that This DOES break apples EULA.

I like to read the forum rules sometimes before posting.

But Im glad that you got your phone to work again. Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1/1/120, Powerbook G4 12" 1.3/768/60, iPhone 8GB T-Mobile :) , iPod Shuffle
Very good! QuickPwn is awesome, its the most reliable free way out there. And definitely worth it to have a jailbroken iPhone.

Enjoy!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.