iBook G3 - New battery, new PSU, battery wont charge

Reaction score
Hi all

Got a new battery for my iBook G3 700. The battery wont charge, says 0% all the time. Left the iBook off for a while with a new AC adapter plugged in and still it says 0%. Tried old AC and still nothing. System profilers says "Charging: No".

What should I try next?

Thanks in advance

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for that.

As my iBook does not have a reset button I followed these instructions:

1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
2. Reset the power manager by simultaneously pressing and then releasing Shift-Control-Option-Power on the keyboard. Do not press the fn (Function) key while using this combination of keystrokes.
3. Wait 5 seconds.
4. Press the Power button to restart the iBook computer.

Firstly when I did this the iBook just powered up by itself. The second time I tried holding the key combintaion down for 5 secs. The iBook made a beep noise and a light on the front flashed. Then the iBook booted itself. Nothing had changed (I thought the time and date might have reset?)

But still system profiler says it is not charging. The battery shows 0% in OS X but all 4 lights show up when the button is pressed on the battery.

OP
T
Reaction score
UPDATE: If when running I unplug the AC adapter, it runs on standby, it is still running on standby for the last 15 mins. The vatterys max mHa is reported as 10000 which is odd as it is a 4400mHa. Ill leave it in standby until the battery runs down.

OP
T
Reaction score
It lasted for about an hour and then stopped flashing at the front (is this normal?). Ill wait for my replacement to arrive before any more messing about unless anyone else has anything else I could try?

Thanks in advance!

OP
T
Reaction score
New battery arrived from a different seller (different battery too) and it still doesn't work. I'm guessing this is going to be a repair job? Anyone know of a good (cheap) UK repair place?

Reaction score
How does it act with the old battery? Will it run on the power supply without the battery installed?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.