G5 seems slower than my pc

M

Malakai

Hi, I bought my powermac G5 about a week ago, 1.8 dual with 1G Ram. I cant say enough about how great it is as you all know so I will get right to my question. I have DSL and even with the same connection speed the Mac is slower to open pages or even abunch of thumbnail pics. The Dell opens them all at the same time but the Mac opens a string at a time. All in all it just seems slower and yet I know it should be lightening quick compared to the pc. Any ideas. Thanks in advance.
Ron

OP
S

sivp

Mine is lightning fast... Try verifying/repairing permissions
i dunno.. Mines fast though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Or try a different browser.

OP
R

richiestang78

Internet Explorere reamins the fastest but most buggy and security issue prone browser. Safari is fast but if you want something alittle faster try Firefox, or download the IE for Mac even though Microsoft doesnt support it anymore.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
You have noticed also how some browsers are a bit slower than others. I think Camino is pretty fast, but it's just doesn't have the features of Firefox that I like. But still give it a try, if you like fast loading.

OP
L

Lorn

Malakai said:
Hi, I bought my powermac G5 about a week ago, 1.8 dual with 1G Ram. I cant say enough about how great it is as you all know so I will get right to my question. I have DSL and even with the same connection speed the Mac is slower to open pages or even abunch of thumbnail pics. The Dell opens them all at the same time but the Mac opens a string at a time. All in all it just seems slower and yet I know it should be lightening quick compared to the pc. Any ideas. Thanks in advance.
Ron

I know exactly what you mean. My old PC used to load webpages like a snap using cable. Now I'm on a DP Powermac G5 and webpages definitely take a bit to load. I've tried the included Safari browser as well as IE that was buried in the hard drive. I guess it's just a mac thing. :eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
You have to remember that 99% of websites are optimised to work with IE on the windows platform. Until the next generation of Processors come through that support multiple OS's, and the user base of either camp becomes more even, things will continue to be this way. People aren't going to invest the time to see if their website will work with set ups being used by such a small quota of their target audience.

OP
M

meltbanana314

Better yet, go grab a G5 optimized version of Firefox (or Camino) and enable pipelining on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
did anyone say "wait till Tiger?"

Reaction score
meltbanana314 said:
Better yet, go grab a G5 optimized version of Firefox (or Camino) and enable pipelining on it.[/QUOTE I am currently using pipelining with Firefox, and IE is still a faster browser. Doesn't seem to be Apples fault though as websites are optimized for IE.

OP
M

meltbanana314

Avid6eek said:
I am currently using pipelining with Firefox, and IE is still a faster browser. Doesn't seem to be Apples fault though as websites are optimized for IE.

Are you using the optimized G5 version or the stock version?

(http://www.beatnikpad.com/archives/2004/11/06/firefoxG5)

You're right about IE optimizations though. After IE became bundled with Windows it slowly started eating out Netscape's market share, and now we see all sorts of websites using broken code that makes it easier for IE to render pages quickly instead of adopting the proper standards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.