G5 not starting (possible power problem)

Reaction score
My Power Mac G5 is no longer starting up. A few days ago I hit the power up button and as it started up there was a loud 'pop' noise. The noise was reminiscent of some kind of power surge. The system no longer starts up - when I click the power up button it makes a clicking noise and flashes a little light near the button. I am wondering what I need to do to get my system running, if I have to replace a part or not? Thank you for your help.
David

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You may have a power supply failure

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I think that is the case. Do you know what I need to replace to get it running again?

Open up your G5 and sniff - yes, sniff - around in the region of where the power cord plugs in. If you detect a burnt smell, then in all likelihood the power supply unit is history. To my knowledge, there is no internal fuse protection.

If you know how to test a psu, ie. power in vs power out, with a multimeter, you may find that your present psu is okay. A m-meter will also show you if the psu is dead. Alternatively, an electronics technician could test the psu for you.

For guidance on removing (and by inference) replacing a G5 psu: Powermac G5 Take-Apart Guide

Where to get another refurbished (and verified) psu? Search the forums and advertise. Try this site G5 PowerMacs June 2004 | 1-800-525-3888
If no success, then it's probably Apple to the rescue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.