New iMac Addressbook question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5, OS X V. 10.4.11 and iMac 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo OS X 10.5.2
I just bought a new iMac (20" 2.66 GHz, etc..) and started it up without using the Migrate Assistant because my old PowerBook G4 Titanium (!) hard drive crashed so I have no old Mac to draw info from. However, I do have my last backup on an external hard drive. My issue is that I can't seem to get Addressbook on the new iMac to read the Library/Application Assistant/Addressbook/ files. Is there anyway to import these old addresses into my new system??

On a related note, I've not tried it yet, but I'm assuming I'll have the same issue with my Mail program since the user specific files are also in Library/App Assist/Mail...

Thanks, yserra

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Use the cp command from the terminal to copy in the ~/Library/Application Support files as well as the ~/Library/Mail files

Don't forget the ~/Library/Preference files for those apps as well.

Basic command for copying the whole user directory. You should modify paths to copy just the file/folders you want. You'll be asked for the password of the logged in user. As long as that user is an admin you're golden.

sudo cp -Rv /Volumes/name_of_hd/Users/username/ /Macintosh\
HD/Users/username/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.