iPhone 3G with non-3G internet?

Reaction score
Can you get your
Iphone to run on a normal phone plan with normaln non 3G data? Also, can you use it as a modem? yuIinternet? I don't have the 80 dollars per month for a proper iPhone data plan plus I'm in Canada and our best data plan is 2G per month, 'cause Canadian plans are effing terrible in general. I want to get a normal (2G) unlimiter data plan with a normal voice plan as I don't need internet too often and sacrificed. Speed would be okay with me. How do I do this?
- Thx!
-Wman

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
Data is data doesn't matter if your phone is running on 2g (edge) or 3g (HDSPA), so all you need to do is get a data plan.

OP
Wman
Reaction score
Do you think rogers will let me get a normal data + voice plan and still give me the iphone discount? (If I get a 3 year contract)

Does EDGE have all the support for photos and things?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
In most countries you can only purchase the iPhone if you sign up for the accompanying data plan.

Check with your carrier, but I believe that's also the case in Canada, i.e. you can't buy the iPhone at the subsidized price unless you go with one of their iPhone specific plans.

OP
Wman
Reaction score
I called them. Apperently, I can get it and still get the iPhone for 200$, but I won't be able to open attachments, view most images and see anything in html.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess they're implying that without the data plan you won't be able to use the net without wifi. Well duh.

But you'll still be access the net on a wifi connection just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1/1/120, Powerbook G4 12" 1.3/768/60, iPhone 8GB T-Mobile :) , iPod Shuffle
If your SP is using the 3G network (at&t, verizon, some t-mobile) and you're using a 3G phone (iPhone 3G, some Nokias, etc) you don't have the option of using the EDGE (2G) data or voice. The only way you could use EDGE on a 3G service provider is if you were using the 1st gen iPhone.

I experience this myself, I use an unlocked iPhone 2G on T-Mobile, which has 3G service where I am now. But once I upgrade to the 3G iPhone, I will be using 3G no matter what.

That's my understanding. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If your SP is using the 3G network (at&t, verizon, some t-mobile) and you're using a 3G phone (iPhone 3G, some Nokias, etc) you don't have the option of using the EDGE (2G) data or voice. The only way you could use EDGE on a 3G service provider is if you were using the 1st gen iPhone.

I experience this myself, I use an unlocked iPhone 2G on T-Mobile, which has 3G service where I am now. But once I upgrade to the 3G iPhone, I will be using 3G no matter what.

That's my understanding. Hope this helps.

That is incorrect, You can switch off 3G at anytime on a 3G iphone and use only edge for both voice and data.

I know this because I do this all the time on Rogers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1/1/120, Powerbook G4 12" 1.3/768/60, iPhone 8GB T-Mobile :) , iPod Shuffle
Good to know. That must be a nice feature of the iPhone, I have another line on T-Mobile using a 3G phone in a 3G market, and I don't believe there's a way to switch off the 3G and go to EDGE.

If there's a reliable cost-effective way to have an iPhone 3G on Rogers/Fido/whatever else is in Canada instead of the 2G, I say go for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4 Macbook Pro, 2.5, 200GB 7200rpm HDD, 4GB RAM- 24" iMac 2.9, 1TB HDD, 4GB, 2 iPhones, 3 iPods
Why would you want to switch off 3G and go to a slower 2G network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To save battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To save battery.

Exactly I leave mine on 2G unless I know I need 3g. Just doesn't make sense to leave it on all the time. I just wish Apple hadn't hidden the switch so far in the settings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.