PowerBook Superdrive noises

N

NuKe

Hi,
When I am ripping DVDs or CDs the drive makes a strange noise every second. Nothing loud, but sounds kinda funny. Not sure if that is normal. Does anyone else that owns a PowerBook experience this? Will the Apple Protection Plan thing that I bought for $350 cover this?
Thanks all,
Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
mine kinda makes noises aswell, Not all the time only when it is spinning very fast, such as importing cds into itunes or dvd ripping, but not when listening to the cd, or playing the DVD, I think it is normal. I am on a 15" if you are on the same, i think it is normal. I also believe the protection plan covers all non-abusive hardware and software problems

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have the 15in Ti book and mine does the same thing as PowerBookG4 does, Since you have the coverage, I would keep an eye on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
Are you talking about the normal whirring noise or the noice that sounds like the hard drive is searching for something??? If so then that is normal because when I first got my 15" Powerbook I noticed the same thing and went into the local Apple store and had them put a CD into one of the display Powerbooks and it did the same thing and the guy from the Genius bar who was helping said it was normal and usually you wouldn't notice it but due to how thin the Powerbook is, that is why you hear it more than with a desktop computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.