Google Earth

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
::24" 2.8ghz iMac w/ nVidia 8800GS::2.4Ghz Unibody Macbook::
When I open Google Earth on my iMac (i think it's called) a disk image pops up on the desktop. It's like if I plugged in a usb flash drive. It also does this when I open iSquint. How do I make this go away? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
I think the files you downloaded for Google Earth and iSquint are still the installation files.
When you double click on these they will open up as a disk image - double click again on these images - they open in a new window.
At this point you simply drag the Google Earth or iSquint icons from the new window to where you want them to run from; the default would be Applications. They are copied into that location from the image. It is then safe to unmount the disk images and either delete them or store them somewhere safe.
Open Applications, click on the new apps, away you go...

Hope this helps :)

Hugh

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well when I opened it I dragged the icons into my applications folder and I open it from there. When I open the app the image will pop up on the desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Are you dragging the icons from the open and now mounted window into Applications, or the ones you previously downloaded to your desktop?

If I've got this wrong or misunderstood the problem, hang on a while and someone with more experience will be along.

Cheers:)

Hugh

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I downloaded it, then I opened it, then I dragged the icon from that folder to my applications folder. Did I do something wrong?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I deleted Google Earth and tried reinstalling it the way in Eric's last post, but it still did the same thing it has been doing. Maybe that's just the way google earth works? Has anyone installed it on their Mac and knows what I'm talking about?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
No, you do not have it installed. You put the icon to the DMG in Applications.

You download Google Earth.dmg or whatever it's named. You click on the DMG and the Disk Image mounts on the desktop. You then double click on that image on the desktop and it opens and there is an icon inside that window for Google Earth. THAT is what you drag into the Applications folder. Then CLOSE the window and drag the mounted image to the trash and empty the trash.

Then click on Google Earth in Applications.

For sure you are dragging the Image into Applications and not the application itself inside the image.

Look at the pics below. You drag the Google Earth from the window that opens when you click on the MOUNTED IMAGE and drag that icon that looks like a Blue and White Beachball into Applications and not the Image.

Picture 1.jpg

Picture 2.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.