Defragmenting my iMac

Reaction score
On my old PC I used to have to defragment my hard drive to clean up and speed up it's operation. How can I do that on my 20'" imac running Tiger????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
idefrag

Strictly speaking Mac OS X defrags files itself however there is a application available called idefrag

Heres a bit about it...

idefrag

Product Description:
Advanced Mac OS X disk defragmentation and optimization. Supports the very latest features of HFS+, including journaling, case sensitive filenames and adaptive hot file clustering (which means it won't mess-up the Hot Zone).

What's new in this version:

* Improved appearance and behaviour of lock button.
* Applications are now digitally signed.
* Fixed a problem where iDefrag could hang when commencing the On-line algorithm.
* Increased the speed of the Compact algorithm for some scenarios.
* Fixed some minor user interface transgressions.
* The workaround for Leopard’s AHCI driver bug is now disabled when running from 10.5.3 or later.
* Fixed a problem where the algorithm or class-set drop-down boxes on the toolbar would be incorrectly disabled after defragmenting.
* Fixed an interaction problem with SMART monitoring utilities (such as the iStat applications and widgets); iDefrag will no longer report that SMART monitoring is not possible when running those applications.

Operating System Requirements:

This product is designed to run on the following operating systems:

* Mac OS X 10.5 Intel
* Mac OS X 10.5 PPC
* Mac OS X 10.4 Intel
* Mac OS X 10.4 PPC
* Mac OS X 10.3.9

Additional Requirements:

* Mac OS X 10.3.9 or higher

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
You don't need to is the simple answer. Fragmentation is not such a big deal on Journaled file systems. If you like I can link you some articles on Jornaling file systems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
Here is a picture regarding my previous post..

awp64x.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
On a side note, don't you think Apple would give you a defrag tool if it was really necessary?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.