MacBook/MacBook Pro questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
aluminum MacBook: 2.4GHZ Core 2 Duo, 3GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDEA GeForce 9400M, 250 GB HDD (32GB for Vista)
I'm currently looking for a new notebook. I've had many notebooks around the household before but only 1 in my possetion a few years ago. I've only had a Mac once and it was a year ago, a refurbished iMac G3 with Tiger, Office 2004, and iLife '05 on it. I'm currently using a Dell desktop, but having a notebook would be the best decision right now because I just entered high school, I spend most of my life on the computer, and I'm a very active blues musician. With that in mind, an Apple notebook is obviously where I want to go. The Apple student discount is 5%. I currently have $800 of saved gigging money that I want to spend. I'm close to the new white MacBook, but for what I do, that won't suit my needs and for how much I use it and what I do on it, it won't last long. I've found that the new $2k MacBook Pro would be the best fit for me, but it's much too expensive and the student discount only brings it to $1900. I need something ASAP, but I don't know where to go. I've had too many problems with used computers (especially my old iMac I bought used and I've heard of other used Mac problems from friends), so I definetly want to get it new. Does anybody have any ideas of what I could do? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
I know you have your heart set on a brand new macbook pro but it might be a good idea to look in the refurbished section? Apple test all the refurbs and include a one year warranty.

Heres the link for the Refurbished section: The Apple Store (U.S.)

Also check out the Clearance: The Apple Store (U.S.)

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Apple offer refurbs products. They are basically macs that have been return for a number of reasons from a minor problem to the user not being happy and requesting a refund. They are then cleaned and repair and again come with a warranty again. So you get a new old mac that has a 1 year warrenty. They do state that they do somtletimes have scractes but work 100%. There is a subsection of the apple store you can look at the prices there. There is also nothing wrong with the White MacBook it is a great machine and many people use them with very little problems what's ever.

You beat me to it bad heron

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
aluminum MacBook: 2.4GHZ Core 2 Duo, 3GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDEA GeForce 9400M, 250 GB HDD (32GB for Vista)
Yeah, they have a refurbished MacBook Pro for $1350 that's similar in specs to the new $2000 one but with a little less graphics and not the new design. It's still a little far away. But with the way the economy is, maybe they'll lower prices. I have to wait anyway regaurdless just because how much I have to spend and it would be smart to wait. The refurbs don't allow for the student discount though. Does anybody know if the refurbished ones come with Leopard and iLife. iLife '08 is essential to what I'm going to be doing.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wait, I just found one on Apple's website. It's the one that was previous to the new one released last Wednesday, but it's still new. It's the one that was $2000 before the new one was released last week and now it's $1400 still new. Any thoughts about this one? The Apple Store (U.S.)

Reaction score
Just wondering why the macbook (white) won't serve your needs? As I do mixing/recording on the old macbook 1.83ghz core duo and it serves me fine, so I know if you were to pick up one of the newer macbooks (white) it should serve you fine.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It doesn't have enough RAM for what I do and I would like a faster processor (my current Dell has a 2.0 GHZ and I want something faster). Also, the hard drive is way too small for all of my programs and files. I'm only in high school and want something that'll last a while and would be very upgradable for new software and operating systems. So I'd rather buy something more expensive now that'll last a while and I could upgrade software on easier opposed to where I get to the point on a cheaper computer where I can't update software, the operating system, and some hardware and then I'd have to buy a new computer. If that makes sense...

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Well if you want a computer that is going to last you a long time I recommend you buy the new Pro or MB as they are designed to work with next OS (Snow Leopard). The older MB (proS) will of course work well with the new OS.

It seems to me that you want the top MBP for $1000, doesn't everyone? It just doesn't work that way. If you want a very fast system for very little money you need to buy a PC desktop not a MBP. MBP are top of the line and the best in the market. As RD423 said the MB (White) will do great for you. The RAM is upgradable (don't buy apple RAM it is way too expensive) and the harddisc can be upgraded very easily on a MB too. A MB with a 2.1 Ghz C2D with 4GB RAM is an amazing machine and will handle anything you throw at it. But No gaming at all.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am quite aware of that. I am trying to replace a PC desktop system though because for what I do, I need a Mac. If I could, I would just change out the hard drive and add a little RAM to my newer Dell desktop that I am currently using. I need the Mac for its multimedia features though...mostly for recording my music and creating videos from performances. I'm not a gamer, but the programs I use and what I do requires a good graphics processor and the Intel one in the $1k MacBook won't cut it. The $1400 (student discount) last generation MBP is almost identical in specs to the new $2k one except it has an NVIDIA GeForce 8600N GT graphics processor (which sure will work for what I'm doing) and a 200 GB hard drive opposed to a 250 GB hard drive in the new one (160 GB is the minimum for me). Looks don't matter much to me, and that one would definetly work for me. Does anybody have experience with that one?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
It doesn't have enough RAM for what I do and I would like a faster processor (my current Dell has a 2.0 GHZ and I want something faster). Also, the hard drive is way too small for all of my programs and files. I'm only in high school and want something that'll last a while and would be very upgradable for new software and operating systems. So I'd rather buy something more expensive now that'll last a while and I could upgrade software on easier opposed to where I get to the point on a cheaper computer where I can't update software, the operating system, and some hardware and then I'd have to buy a new computer. If that makes sense...

Well for one thing I think you should hold out on making any purchases since you still have a funding problem. I would save and work more hours to get to your goal.

Secondly don't get RAM or HDDs from Apple. They like to overcharge for stuff like that.

You can buy 4GB of ram for a lot less as well as a better and higher capacity HDD.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I don't work since I'm just a freshman, but I gig around town A LOT. I would just get a MacBook from Apple's website and order with my configurations, but the white MacBook has too slow of a processor for the apps I'll be running and the new alluminum MacBook doesn't have any FireWire ports or expansion slots, so the MacBook Pro is my way to head. So reguardless, I'm going to have to wait. But my next recording project would be WAY easier if I had this sooner so I could work with my ProTools projects at home and engineer it mostly on my own.

Reaction score
yes refurbs come with leopard it says it to the right of the refurb section lmao.
anyway for your stuff u dont need high processor unless ur doing mad film editing or wicked graphic design. just get a 2.2 macbook and upgrade 2 4gb through newegg and your hd

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't do enough with video to need a high processor, but I use at least a dozen audio programs and some do require a 2.4 GHZ processor or higher. And I've had problems with Intel graphics cards before and don't want to make that mistake again. It's nice though with Intel processors though because most of my software is for PCs (and require an Intel processor of at least P4) and getting VMWare Fusion will make the transition from PC to Mac an ease.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bump... Any ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.