My new old powerbook won't connect to my wireless network!

Reaction score
Okie dokie. So tonight I bought a Powerbook G4 Titanium Onyx etc. etc. 550Mhz from a coworker of mine. It has a

Sonnet Tech Aria Extreme Wireless G card that sits peacefully in the PC Card Slot. (Card model is G54-CB)

I take it home and for the past couple hours I have unsuccessfully been trying to connect it to my Wireless Router.

ActionTec with Wireless Gateway

It can detect the network, but when I try to connect, it tells me "There was an error joining the AirPort network ACTIONTEC." The encryption is WEP 64 bit.

I have tried disabling the encryption, but it still won't connect. It will however connect via Ethernet to the same router.

So, is there anything that can be done for me?

Regards.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just to be sure, you are turning off WEP encryption in the router and the Powerbook still will not connect? What OS is on the Powerbook? OSX? OS9? If OSX which version?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Since you are running Tiger, open System Preferences, Network, Airport, and click on By Default Join and change it from Automatic to Preferred Networks. Does your router show there? If so set security to None and see what happens. If not let me know.

Not sure what is going on. That Sonnet card should work. The fact you see your Actiontec Router shows it is at least picking up WiFi signals anyway.

OP
D
Reaction score
I got it to work now. I tried again without the encryption and it worked, so I changed it to WPA and now it works.

I guess Macs just don't like WEP... :/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.