• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What is the best HDTV to use as a monitor for the Mac Pro for graphic design?

Reaction score
Greetings, I am a photographer, amateur graphic/web designer located around the NYC metropolitan area. It is my first time posting on the forum and I'd appreciate it if anyone could steer me in the right direction..

I just purchased a brand new Mac Pro - pretty standard except with an upgraded graphics card [NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512M]. What is the best 30"+ Flat Screen HDTV I should purchase to accompany it as a monitor? I intend on using it mostly for photoshop and dreamweaver but also to use the TV to hook up to basic cable provided by my college campus. For what I need I am looking at an LCD HDTV monitor, with the best possible resolution, right? Also what is the best way to hook this up without sacrificing quality?

I know a common issue with LCD monitors when it comes to design work is color calibration, but I have an additional smaller dell flat screen monitor to use in order to combat that minor annoyance.

Thank you for any tips or suggestions on what specifications I should be looking for when purchasing this TV. Have any specific brands or models that you personally recommend?

Best Regards,

Krutz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
To be honest, if screen space is of importance to you, might as well go with a 23 inch apple cinema display, as it has much more space on it than any of the biggest HDTV's, as all HDTV's are 1920x1080, no matter how big. If you want 30" though the apple cinema display at 30 inches is nice, but quite expensive. Although the dells are not as high quality they are cheaper.

OP
B
Reaction score
I was looking for massive. I have about 2,000$ I have saved up so I thought that would buy me a nice HDTV that I could use as the monitor. Except because I am using my mac pro for graphic design I need to make sure resolution is high. I want something that has good quality image (as close to Mac Cinema Display as it can be) that is larger. I've been told to look at the Samsungs? hmm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
As was already stated, all HDTV's are 1920x1080. If you want a better resolution than that, you would want to go with an actual monitor, not an HDTV.

OP
B
Reaction score
That said, what is a good product I should look into pursuing? Is 1920x1080 good enough resolution that my picture will still look amazing, or am I beat since I didn't buy the apple cinema display?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" imac 3.06GHz Intel Core @duo 4 GB 800MHz DDr 2 SDRAM
a samsung lcd or a sony bravia..

i just bought a sony bravia and have been researching lcd's a lot over the last month. samsung and sony bravia are the leaders in the field now. if i had ti pick one i would say the sony bravia. i bought a 40" sony bravia at costco for 1500 a few weeks ago.

this is the one you want as it has the faster processor (motion flow) and will keep up with just about anything without blurring. the colors are great on this tv. you have to go into the store and look at these tv's side by side to really get an appreciation on how much more superior the samsungs and sony bravia are in picture quality..
Costco - Sony 40" Motionflow™ 120Hz 1080p LCD HDTV Energy Star® Compliant

you wont find a better value on this type of tv anywere else, trust me i checked.. if youve got 2k spend the rest on some hdmi cords and a nice blue ray player! ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Because they have a lower resolution than comparable computer screens, TVs also have comparatively large pixels that aren't really ideal for close-up work.

So I'd go with a large monitor and TV adapter for your Mac instead. You'll still be able to watch TV on the large screen, but your computing experience will be a lot better.

You could get a 30" Dell display for quite a bit less than $2K, grab one of those - it should be big enough for a college TV and is a great monitor!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.