Did iTouch Connector Pin Configuration Change?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMac, Retina 5K, 3.6 GHz, 64 GB Memory, 2 TB storage
Did the power connector pin configuration change from previous generation ipods? I ask because all my previous iPods worked using my in-car connector. These include the Nano and 5th Gen iPod. It powered these and the sound was of course great. The iTouch is not recognized by my system and it does not power up either.

Is this a known issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
What kind of system? If you are talking about an actual car audio connection that would depend on the manufacturer having the correct software to read the newer versions of the ipod. For instance, my Alpine iDA-X100 works with all iPods, including the newest generation .... but the built in connector in my Jetta does not work with anything over 5th generation.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What kind of system? If you are talking about an actual car audio connection that would depend on the manufacturer having the correct software to read the newer versions of the ipod. For instance, my Alpine iDA-X100 works with all iPods, including the newest generation .... but the built in connector in my Jetta does not work with anything over 5th generation.

I connect through a JL CleanSweep system. I'll check with JL to see what they know. I thought it was a hardware issue, not software...

Thanks for the heads-up!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I connect through a JL CleanSweep system. I'll check with JL to see what they know. I thought it was a hardware issue, not software...

Thanks for the heads-up!

Well, hardware as far as the hardware also changing between the different generations of the iPods, but the software also changes between them. :)

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update - It's A Hardware Issue

I spoke with JL today and learned the following: the cable pins did change. The new cable will work with the iTouch. Because it also includes video. Anyway, they told me best buy has a cable vetted by Apple that will work with the Cleansweep.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The pins did indeed change. I have a DICE iPod integration unit in my Honda. It works fine with any iPod, except the iPhone 3G and the iPod Touch 2G. Apparently Apple removed the firewire charge pin in the latest revisions, causing compatibility issues.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Nice find. I'm thinking about ordering one of those myself. I'm a little apprehensive at the moment, since it hasn't even started shipping. I might have to wait to see if iLounge gets a test unit to review.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.