aperture question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 15"
ive watched the training videos on apples site and Ive done alittle google searching but I cant find what im looking for so I thought Id ask here.

I want to use aperture to organize and edit my pictures. I dont want it to completely copy my library like it tried to do originally. I dont really understand what aperture does when you "import folders as projects" but it seems like it copies all your pictures and organizes them into its own library format. I already have 20Gb's of pictures, I would prefer aperture not take up another 20 gigs of space copying everything.

Ive been using lightroom and I like the way it uses your existing library without copying everything, can I do the same with aperture?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB memory, 160GB hard drive, Leopard, 20" Widescreen Samsung Display
Yes, when you do an import you can choose where the originals are stored. Aperture will either leave them where they are on you hard drive or you can choose to have Aperture import them into its library. It also will allow any mix of the two as well, as each import you can decide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
Yes. You want to create a REFERENCED Library. I don't have Aperture in front of me but the Help files do explain how to do this. This is the type of library that I have and it works fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.