Old iMac vs. New iMac

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Out of curiousity, what all do the aluminum Imacs have that the older generations are missing? I am thinking about getting just the white Imac to use as my "at home" editing computer and then having the macbook pro for capturing and editing on the go... but does the older imac run FCP and all the other FC Studio programs without issues?
thanks in advance
jared

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
We have a white and an Aluminum. Both are excellent. Alum for you is better IMO because 4GB max (vs 3) and 250MB (vs 128MB) Video card. Extra large HD is an option but 320 vs 250 is nice as well. Some have been ordered with 500GB so check around.

OP
J
Reaction score
aww- the graphics card will be an issue with color and motion i am pretty sure... the 3 vs. 4 gb of ram is not the end of the world, but i hate the graphics card issue...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
If the graphic card is going to be an issue stop looking at the iMacs and start loving the Pro version. You will have lots of choices and more RAM but you will have to pay to play. The Aluminum is more than enough for me and I use CS3 all day.

OP
J
Reaction score
are the white ones called g5s? what are the aluminum ones called? are the white ones core 2 duo or core duo? are they intel based and able to run windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
The first white iMacs had IBM G5 processors. In January 2006 they replaced them with Intel Core Duo CPUs. In September 2006 they replaced them with the Core 2 Duo.

The Aluminium ones all have Core 2 Duo processors.

Everything apart from the G5 iMacs can run Windows.

The alu ones have some better graphics chip options and are thinner, but are generally an evolution of the the original white iMac.

For gaming, I wouldn't go near the white ones. But for everything else, the white iMac is still lightning.

There's no reason not to get a 2006 or 2007 white iMac.

Reaction score
depends on what kind of activity do you see yourself doing with the imac.
If you are into heavy graphics and video editing, the 256mb graphics card in the newer imacs will make a significant difference.

However, if you'll be doing word processing, web-browsing, and simply photo editing, the older imac's should do the job fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.