• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How many angry about dropping firewire in new Macbook pros?

Reaction score
seeing I have spent a fortune on various firewire video components cameras and external drives I can say with certainty that I am unimpressed with the new macbooks only because of this mistake. I Do not care about steve Jobs opinion he gets his stuff for free. I wanted the new macbook but in fact it is USELESS to me.
personaly I would prefer also adding serial ata jack & firewire

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2.2Ghz and 2 G4 550Mhz Pismos
Hadn't realized this omission on the new model till you pointed it out, but definitely agree that not including firewire was not a cool idea. I'm with you on that. Rats! I was looking forward to having a look at them, too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
The MBPs have one 800 Firewire port. But the MBs don't. I don't think that I could survive with out my firewire ports.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yes, it the Macbook that they completely removed the Firewire from. The new MBP has a FW800 and an Express Card slot so you can affix say a FW400 card.

So yes, am VERY mad about the Macbook because people like you and I are totally stuck with no way out except by spending a lot more for an MBP.

Reaction score
I recently got into filming and want to start a little production company with a few buddies and because of this I even told my friend to not waste the money on a new macbook because of the firewire being gone. He can't afford a MBP so it looks like were stuck using my macbook and one of my other friends macbooks for the videos. I can't wait until my brother gets one of the new MBP's i am so going over to my family house and live there for a few days just to mess with the MBP lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm still ticked off that they stopped including floppy drives and SCSI hard drives.

Seriously folks... firewire 400 has run its course and it's time to move on. If you have legacy devices that require firewire 400, then suck it up and buy the Pro or buy the "old" MacBook. Or switch to Windows, buy a Dell, and get over it. This is life and Apple has no obligation to support an interface that has been superceded by newer ones for some years now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
Never used it...so how can i miss it :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
And what interfaces are those? USB 2? Be serious. And there are MANY who can not afford a Macbook Pro Including ME. You telling me to go back to Vista? Since I am a mod here I will hold back a bit but that will be the day when someone tells me what OS to run.

USB 3 might be very nice but I do not see anything but USB 2.0 in a new Macbook and USB 2.0 is very slow with file transfer to and from an external HDD.

Floppy drives? That is not even a fair thing to compare this to at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
The way I understood it, and this is just me, is that USB was for the masses, and firewire was much more of a professional type of thing (hence my audio equipment using firewire). Hence, the mass notebook (MB) not having it anymore, and the Pro moving to the upgraded version of it (FW800). Someone else on the forum said (and I am paraphrasing) that most people with MB's probably don't even know what the heck that port is for, and I totally agree with that.

Is it crappy that they dropped it? For some people it is, but for most (read mass notebook model) it isn't a big deal at all. While I was at the store the other day I saw AT LEAST 15 MB's go out the door, and I bet not a single one of those people even knew, nor noticed, firewire missing.

I think a better comparison is when Apple switched from PPC to Intel. There was mass hysteria when that happened, but life moved on and so did the people. This, like everything else, will pass.

Just my two cents. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
And what interfaces are those? USB 2? Be serious. And there are MANY who can not afford a Macbook Pro Including ME. You telling me to go back to Vista? Since I am a mod here I will hold back a bit but that will be the day when someone tells me what OS to run.

USB 3 might be very nice but I do not see anything but USB 2.0 in a new Macbook and USB 2.0 is very slow with file transfer to and from an external HDD.

Floppy drives? That is not even a fair thing to compare this to at all.

There's also a fair number of people who can't even afford the "new" MacBook. The Pro is only $800 more as it is. I realize that can be a tidy sum for some people. If you gotta have the firewire, then buy the "old" MacBook. Apple is selling those still, and for less than the "new" one. I don't see how Apple is obligated to make sure everyone who wants the new models can also have everything they want in it at the entry level. The new MacBook as is will suffice for quite a lot of people. I'd be OK with it myself if not for the 13" screen. Rather than fuss how they don't have a 15" option for the MacBook, I'm just going Pro. Not an easy extra $800 for me either, but it's that or suffer the smaller screen.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lifeafter2am, I see your points and agree to a point :D but still it will hurt thousands or people who really need Firewire and want a new Macbook.

I really was glad by the way when they went Intel as I knew performance would be higher and better compatibility with the rest of the world. I actually welcomed that switch.

I would go with a Pro if I could, but there is no way I can afford the difference. For my uses the new construction of the MacBook will be much nicer and more rugged in the field where I have to use my notebook. Also the LED display is superior. I have seen the old MB side by side with the MBA and it's amazing how much brighter and clearer it is, but I need the interface, so I will have to stick with my older machine for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
lifeafter2am, I see your points and agree to a point :D but still it will hurt thousands or people who really need Firewire and want a new Macbook.

I really was glad by the way when they went Intel as I knew performance would be higher and better compatibility with the rest of the world. I actually welcomed that switch.

Oh I agree with you completely, but I think this is what Apple was thinking.

Yeah, I was happy when they went Intel as well, even though I have always had a soft spot for RISC architecture.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.