internet slowing down, can't speed it up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac/MacBook/iPod/iPhone
Hi, I hope someone can help with this problem...My iMac G4 is slowing down more and more in internet speed. It's not a connection problem as my MacBook is on the same network and runs fine. I've run Onyx numerous time, deleted all caches, fixed permissions, etc. but can't figure it out. Any ideas what I might be missing? I'd really appreciate some advice.
Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't mention what kind of connection you're using. Airport wireless or ethernet? If wireless, are you using any sort of encryption security on the G4? WEP, WPA, etc.? If so, turn it off temporarily and see what happens.

How full is the hard drive on the G4? As the hard drive gets filled it will slow everything down because of virtual memory paging fragmentation.

What else is going on with the G4 at the same time? Check the "Activity Monitor.app" and see what % usages are being displayed. Anything else running and so forth.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.