• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Snow Leopard Update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Read this last night, I'm quite excited about this :D

Reaction score
People don't like the current Finder? This is news to me. I've always thought it was much better than Windows' Explorer, even back in the OS 9 days.

But, hey, if this new one is even better than the current, that's still pretty cool.

Reaction score
Snow Leopard is looking pretty epic, a lot of form factor changes in the background which will be pretty major. Can't wait to see it next June and then pick up a new Macbook after the second refresh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I have to agree here. I've heard nothing but praises for the current finder. But as always being proactive rather than reactive to the market is the best way to go. As Apple are doing now.

I really can't wait for this Snow Leopard too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you've heard nothing but praises, you clearly haven't been looking hard enough ;P

There are a ton of grievances out there for the current Finder. It's based off of old code, and while Leopard certainly did a lot to allay some of the major issues people had with it in Tiger, there are still some things that need to be worked out. Then there's the fact that it's quite lacking in essential features. If you don't know what I mean, then go take a look at the app PathFinder and you'll see how basic the Finder seems to be in comparison.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Agreed; the Finder has been a bit of a thorn in Apple's side, because while they espoused the merits of Cocoa to other developers, the finder has remained in Carbon for some time.

People should remember that next time they're kicking Intuit or Adobe for remaining within Carbon themselves.

OS X was not the huge break from the past that people thought it was; if you think that Apple has taken almost 9 years to do this, think how long it'll take MS to get rid of Win32...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
People don't like the current Finder? This is news to me. I've always thought it was much better than Windows' Explorer, even back in the OS 9 days.

But, hey, if this new one is even better than the current, that's still pretty cool.

They are not changing the finder in so much as what you see when you use it.

They are rewriting the underlying code so that the finder will act the same, but be written in the newer Cocoa framework rather than the old Carbon framework - which was always just a stop gap for migrating OS 9 code to OS X.

So Apple are just taking the opportunity to refresh the code and get rid of some legacy stuff (unlike certain companies we could mention, but that's a separate thread)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.