Trying to Revive a older iMac G4 .. Startup problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.83 C2D / 4 GB ( installed ) / 80 GB
Hello all :)

I received a Imac G4 ( 800 ?? one mem slot ) , put a harddrive I had laying around into it that I know worked - Put a dvd drive into it I had laying around and with some happiness started up . At first , I had no chimes , just would boot to the Question mark /Folder icon . I tried booting into cd/dvd with no luck it just goes to folder/? , I tried booting from my Leopard/Tiger and OS9 cd's ... No luck .... After researching some forums and google'd for a night or 2 I found out how to reset my PRAM and NVRAM , After I did this I got chimes VERY COOL or so I thought .....I tried all the basics again ( held C , Tried selective startup ) same results.

When I choose to do a selective startup ( option key held ) It shows the OSX disc but when I choose it the CD spins then it just stays at the menu , After a minute or so I can then refresh and try to click the arrow again .... Just stays in a loop I guess

I then booted the Imac into target disk mode and used my macmini Intel to install leopard to the drive on the Imac and I could install and even Booted my macmini from it ...

Sooo aggravating ... I guess i'm starting to think its something major , Iv been a PC tech for about 8 years , i'm a novice to mac id say prob about a year ( Comp Tech / Contractor ) .... Any help would be Greatly Appreciated

Reaction score
Sounds like you used a PC formated Hard Drive. You have to format it the Hard Drive App on the Mac OS disc and you may need the OS disc for that machine. Flashing ? means no system found. G4's and up are not my thing ,so others here can help you more. Good luck. Never punch in PC code into a MAC.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am very tired right now but one thing with older G4 Macs I have run into from time to time is some CDROM/DVDROM drives will not boot. It might be something else causing your issue, but I have ran into that a couple of times. Where did the original Apple drive go? Was it missing?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Been a PC tech / Sys admin for about 8 years ... after lay-off I started working at a local indie repair shop , Was given it as a tip for a long week and good job

The drive was getting no power to it and we removed it at my work . I came in the next morning to work and was given it as a gift if I wanted it , there's no real calling for a old iMac so was a cool tip for a hard days work haha

Anyway I could put a disc image DMG/ISO onto a firewire drive and boot from that ?

I'm with ya on the tired part , Spent my day off and 2 nights on this ....kinda madd idk why

I put the Imac into TDM and formatted it Apple part. , That is a PPC Bootable volume right?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Never mind guys , I really appreciate the help but now another problem has occurred and I think its prob worse than the first lol ( kinda : / )

The machine has decided to not basically turn on ... the fan spins but nothing else .. no display , no chimes now , hardrive doesn't spin with ide connected but without spins up fine : /

It was free but a bummer , I'v been looking into what could be causing this but I'm thinking either Power unit , Logic board or I did read a inverter? but I'm thinking logic board just because trying to relate it back to what the issues were before maybe ... IDK pretty bummed though

there a way I could possible buy a logic board with a faster cpu and such IF this is the problem ? seems like they would fit

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I at first was going to try and makesure the newest FW was on it but It never had a os when I received it so couldn't do the update .... I was trying to find a way to do it without a OS but didn't have any luck

only reason Im aggravated is it worked and 3 sec later this started HAHA If it did this from the start I wouldn't mind as much , spent alot of time so far : /

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
That sounds like a dead battery, happened to mine, its a cheap part, so you will not have lost out much if that is not the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.