Unofficial Macbook Gaming Thread (Late 2008 Models)

Reaction score
Can you try Counter Strike Source please? Also what do you think of COD4? I'm looking at buying the MacBook 2.0 Ghz. I really want to play COD4, will it be possible?

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
CoD4 recommend specs are 2.4ghz but it will run on 2ghz.

OP
CodeSamurai
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
Sorry for the lack of updates today. I had a midterm and a paper to write. I'm going to test CS:S tomorrow and possibly COD4. Crysis will come later in the week, but if anyone gets to it before me, please feel free to post your results! It would be interesting to compare. Thanks guys. G'night.

Trent out

Reaction score
Hey guys, would starcraft2 and diablo3 run well on the new macbook? I'm debating whether to purchase a macbook or macbook pro, I don't really play PC games (just xbox) but I really want to play these two when they come out.

Also, I would be playing on a bigger external monitor, so I'd want to increase resolution a bit. Would this mean I have to get a MBP? I'd much rather get the macbook :S Otherwise I guess I could put up with just playing those games on the little 13" screen if it would be more playable.

cheers.

Reaction score
sport games

Hey guys, this new macbook is looking pretty good. i have just one question. If it can play all the above games ok, does that mean it will handle sporting games like fifa 09? also would it handle Flight sim X. obviously Im talking about through boot camp.

Thanks for your help, if the right answer comes here im off to the apple shop today! ;D

Reaction score
Hey guys, this new macbook is looking pretty good. i have just one question. If it can play all the above games ok, does that mean it will handle sporting games like fifa 09? also would it handle Flight sim X. obviously Im talking about through boot camp.

Macworld did some benchmarks on a few shooters and they were all very playable at high settings. COD4 almost did 30fps, so I imagine we will be able to play pretty much anything we throw at it, minus the likes of Crysis.

Macworld | From the Lab | Benchmarks: The new MacBook and games

I just just purchased a 2.0ghz aluminum, seeing as the difference between the 2.4ghz is minimal in terms of gaming. I have a 7200rpm 320gb seagate drive I'm going to add, plus I will upgrade to 4gb when the time is right. Wonder if adding that extra 2gb of ram will make any difference while gaming.

Once I get this lil beauty I'll do some tests and see what kind of frame rates we can achieve in some of the newer non-FPS games.

Reaction score
I just got the new macbook (2.0ghz) and after a bit of trouble installing windows, tried the crysis demo..

Works well with settings on mix of medium/low. With them all set to high it's pretty choopy. Too much so to enjoy. With all at medium i found that at times with a good few enemies on screen it got laggy, but turned down a few settings to low it sorted it right out! not bad for one of the most demanding games out there on a laptop not meant for gaming!

Reaction score
So do you guys think the macbook should be ok for starcraft 2 and diablo 3? Or should I get a pro instead

Reaction score
So do you guys think the macbook should be ok for starcraft 2 and diablo 3? Or should I get a pro instead

I think that even the old macbooks will be able to run starcraft 2 and diablo 3. Getting a new macbook pro just to run those games would be silly. So yeah I would go with macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Given that both games aren't out yet, I don't think anyone can say for sure... but I would expect the new Macbooks to run them quite nicely.

Here's another video comparing the Intel GMA950 and the 9400M in Photoshop and with CoD4. Not really a great comparison since it's a Sony running Windows vs. the Macbook running OS X, but it's still worth a look:

Nvidia graphics in MacBooks » ChannelFlip

OP
CodeSamurai
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
Given that both games aren't out yet, I don't think anyone can say for sure... but I would expect the new Macbooks to run them quite nicely.

Here's another video comparing the Intel GMA950 and the 9400M in Photoshop and with CoD4. Not really a great comparison since it's a Sony running Windows vs. the Macbook running OS X, but it's still worth a look:

Nvidia graphics in MacBooks » ChannelFlip

Nice find! Looks like COD4 is running really well. I've had an incredibly busy week with school, but I'm planning on making a couple more videos this weekend, so keep your eyes peeled. Take care guys.

Trent out

Reaction score
Hi hi.

The Japanese tech site I mentioned before benchmarked the MacBook under Vista. The configurations are the same: 2GHz, 2GB RAM.

3DMark06
3DMark06 Score: 2085
SM 2.0 Score: 744
HDR/SM 3.0 Score: 789
CPU Score: 1677

CINEBENCH R10
Rendering (Single CPU): 2024
Rendering (Multiple CPU): 3795
Shading (OpenGL Standard): 2538

FFXI Bench 3
LOW: 6395
HIGH: 4369

Now, these are just numbers and not actual in-game tests, so things would differ depending on you application. But it's a benchmark nonetheless.

Cheers.

Reaction score
Dunno about you guys, but having put up with the pissant X3100 on the MacBook for so long, I finally did the one sensible thing and traded the set for a BenQ notebook, with plenty to spare. Ben who? Just google it up. The design of this thing is a joy to behold, and it is a triumph on the outside and in, but most importantly it is a big win on both CPU and GPU. I ran 3DMark on it a few months back and got this result.

3DMark06 (running @ default 1280x800): 3150
SM2.0 Score: 1216
HDR/SM3.0 Score: 1188
CPU Score: 1732

The build is steady. The chassis doesn't feel hot on your palms or thighs. It comes with HDMI and VGA output that doesn't need another adapter. And best of all, it plays Crysis well enough at medium settings. I bought this a few months ago, and now BenQ has come up with S42 that has faster CPU and Nvidia 9600M, which together scores over 5000 in 3DMark06.

The price? S42 is cheaper than the new MacBook.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
But will the BenQ run OS X? That is a deal breaker for me. Gaming is just a side thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Dunno about you guys, but having put up with the pissant X3100 on the MacBook for so long, I finally did the one sensible thing and traded the set for a BenQ notebook, with plenty to spare. Ben who? Just google it up. The design of this thing is a joy to behold, and it is a triumph on the outside and in, but most importantly it is a big win on both CPU and GPU. I ran 3DMark on it a few months back and got this result.

3DMark06 (running @ default 1280x800): 3150
SM2.0 Score: 1216
HDR/SM3.0 Score: 1188
CPU Score: 1732

The build is steady. The chassis doesn't feel hot on your palms or thighs. It comes with HDMI and VGA output that doesn't need another adapter. And best of all, it plays Crysis well enough at medium settings. I bought this a few months ago, and now BenQ has come up with S42 that has faster CPU and Nvidia 9600M, which together scores over 5000 in 3DMark06.

The price? S42 is cheaper than the new MacBook.
Yeah but most Mac users aren't justing in it for the gaming experience... it's just a nice side benefit.

You enjoy your benq though...

Reaction score
i just bought far cry 2 and it works REALLY well on my new MacBook (2.0ghz), i have the resolution on the highest settings and all other settings on high and its still very playable! very impressed!

the game seems good so far too! recommended!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, iMac 1.6ghz
i just bought far cry 2 and it works REALLY well on my new MacBook (2.0ghz), i have the resolution on the highest settings and all other settings on high and its still very playable! very impressed!

the game seems good so far too! recommended!

How many frames per second are you getting? Cause if you are on high and getting playable framerates that is really good because I thought far cry 2 had some crazy graphics.

ChrisNg

Reaction score
Hey I would like to know too how frames rates do you have in High Settings and lower settings with Far Cry 2.

I was also wondering if you could try to play it on an external screen. Do you think games will run on it? (diablo 3 / fallout 3 ? )

Frenchkid

Reaction score
do i have to use a program to measure the fps?? i've never done it before! lol

I'm at work right now, but when i get back home tonight i'll find out the specs etc for you, if you let me know how!

All i know right now is im playing it smoothly on good settings! i'm happy with that!

Reaction score
all you have to do is to access to the console (this key : ²) and type showFps 1

Then the FPS should show on the bottom left of your screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.