Unofficial Macbook Gaming Thread (Late 2008 Models)

Reaction score
any good ww2 RTS games out for mac or on the looming horizon? or running parallels/bootcamp the best idea with a PC game

OP
CodeSamurai
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
Hello all!

I just wanted to let you all know, that for photography/gaming/eye strain reasons, I am moving up to the Macbook Pro (2.66Ghz, antiglare, 256MB 9600M GT). My wife is inheriting my macbook that I have done the tests on. It's been a great run and I thank all of you for your input, tests, observations and inquiries. We got a lot of work done with the 9400m! In the future, I will be more than happy to continue answering any questions anyone has, I just won't be able to do tests anymore. (at least on the windows side) Take care everyone and thanks again! This is simply the best online community to date.

Trent out

Reaction score
Has anyone tested GTA 4?

Hi all

I am planning to buy the macbook pro 2.8 GHz NVidia 9600m 512Mb one. has anyone tested GTA 4 on it.I badly want to play that game and i want to know whether it will be supported on the macbook pro. kindly reply

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.93 Ghz C2D 15" MBP, 4GB RAM, 512MB 9600GT
GTA 4 will run fine, though not on max settings, and you should expect some lag every now and then.

Also, the laptop does get very very hot. i put a game case underneath the edge where the screen is so that it gets more air.

I play it on a 2.93ghz 4gb ddr3 ram mbp with the 9600 512 mb gpu in vista 32 bit.

hope that helps

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I thought i'd contribute a game though I'm not sure if anyone has already rated this.

I installed Counter-Strike: Source and ran a video stress test. Everything was on high however I didn't turn on AA. I got around 90 fps and the game ran really smoothly on Windows 7 and I never really noticed any dropped frame rates. I tested this on a 13" Macbook pro, 2.53GHz with 4GB of ram

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.
Thanks for the testing jayt. This is a great game a used to play on my PC and have been wondering about picking it up for my Mac. Counter Strike is a must buy for any First Person Shooter fans.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 9400M
Hey guys, Dragon Age: Origins just came out and it looks like an amazing rpg, has anyone tested that out yet on the 13" unibody? Just wondering what kind of settings I'll be able to run for smooth gameplay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 MacBook Unibody
to crossbonesX:

ive been playing dragon age for about 20 hours now and loving it! it runs just fine with texture settings on high ad the rest on low. i have the unibody (late 2008) running win xp, with 2.4 mhz and 2 gb ram.

i personally think the game looks good enough with settings on low and i must say: this is not a "graphics game", this is an old school rpg like baldurs gate in a modern version.

hope you like it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 9400M
Thanks for the feedback on that, that's the exact 13" I have (late '08 2.4Ghz) so I'll be sure to grab that game sometime!

Reaction score
Problem with Shivering Isles

On the strange door quest, there is no door at all. Instead there a bunch of exclamation marks. Any idea how to solve this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 2.93 GHz Intel MacBook Pro
I plan on playing Star Wars: The Old Republic when that comes out next year(?), and since it is looking more and more likely that it will require Windows, I have started looking into Bootcamp and Windows XP.

What edition of Windows XP will I need (I know Service Pack 2 is required), or really what I am asking is what exactly do I buy? I am illiterate when it comes to PC software.

Or should I look into Windows Vista/7? What will run games the best?

I have a May 2009 17" Macbook Pro 2.93 GHz and 4GB of RAM, if that matters any. Thanks for any tips/help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.93 GHz iMac Snow Leopard/Windows 7
I have installed Windows 7 on my mac and I was surprised to discover how well Call Of Duty 2 ran in windows 7 (obviously the PC version) compared to how it ran in OSX. I then went out and bought Call Of Duty:World At War and it ran excellent. High Frame Rate at full settings. I ran crisis on high settings and I got 30 - 40 fps most of the time. That is the route I'm going to go from now on. I would say try it. :)

Reaction score
Anyone else getting extreme lag playing The Sims 3 on the new unibody white macbooks ? It's driving me in insane when people tell me the older generation macbooks are running it just fine...

Reaction score
anyone able to play l4d2 with crossover? i copied it from my friend and he's playing it fine for pc, but when i tried to open it, the error steam must be running in order to play. i've been trying to find the patch if anyone did to be able to play it on mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 21.5 3.06 Ghz intel snow leopard\windows 7o
i have a latest imac 21.5 3.06 Ghz with nvidea 9400
ive tried cod 4 moderm warfare, cod moder warfare 2,sims3,nfs shift all on snow leopard , works gr8 60 frames per second with full resolutin. i think the new imac is a worth buy

OP
CodeSamurai
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
I'm thinking that since the macbook graphics have been upgraded to a 320m, either a new thread should be started or the title of this one changed to include the 320m models as well. The new cards look great! Even though I have a slightly more powerful 9600m GT now, I'm kinda jealous! All that power in such a small container. Dang you apple and your wallet draining abilities!

Trent out

Reaction score
One question, in order for me to play new games in my imac do I really need to install a virtualbox or something? Do game makers release games design for Mac OS?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.