iBooks and hardrives...

S

Supaiku

Do they use regular laptop harddrives (regular=general PC style) and what does instaling one yourself invoulve?

And yes I know that would void your warrenty and "trained" people should do it... I want to hear no such pansy comments. I want to know the plain facts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
a regular pc laptop hd would work, but youd need to format it by hooking it as an external hd to another mac first. first youd remove the kb, airport cage area, ram slots and such,
and then to the left of the ram, I think is where the hd is, under the connectors for the kb.
I think thats right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
connect the hd via firewire to a working mac, open disk utility, erase/reformat it as mac os extended journaled, boot that mac from os install disk1, in the hd list, choose the laptop hd, then install, after that, boot into that macs normal os, remove hd, install into ibook.

OP
S

Supaiku

But I wouldn't want to buy a Firewire/External HD thingy to do that though... Isn't the OSX install disk bootable? So like... install the harddrive, boot from OSX disk and format?

Cuz that'd be pretty terrible if it wasn't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
then hook it up via ide like you will in the ibook to a g4 or g5 tower with space for an extra internal hd. yea, boot from the install disc, and install onto the ibook hd, though itd need to be formatted first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook
I just put a seagate 100GB hard drive into my 12" ibook and just used the os disk it came iwth and it formated it for me without any problem.

-matt

OP

01AWW18T

Macman said:
then hook it up via ide like you will in the ibook to a g4 or g5 tower with space for an extra internal hd. yea, boot from the install disc, and install onto the ibook hd, though itd need to be formatted first.

I just bought a new mac mini. I want to take out the 80 gig (4200rpm) hardrive from it and put int a (5400rpm 16 meg cache) one. The problem I have is, this is my first mac and I don't have access to other macs to format my new hd with. Can't I just install my new harddrive and pop in the Utility/OSX disc and format from there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it may work if the hardware will recognize the hd when you boot from tthe os install disk, if you boot from the oinstall disc, and the hd isnt shown in the list of installation locations, it wont work, but if it shows, install os x or whatever the disc is onto it, make sure you have the other discs ready. that should format it automatically upon installation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.