Should I Upgrade My Tiger to Leopard

Reaction score
Just wondering what are the advantages of using leopard over tiger, currently I have a macbook core duo 1.83 gigs 512mb ram (about to be upgraded to 2gb in like 2 weeks) I was looking at buying leopard and installing it but a guy at the computer store told me I would be better off staying with tiger. why is this? Or should I upgrade and why? All help is appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
Im not sure about why the guy said that but leopard has givin most things on my macbook a huge performance boost, not to mention the extra things you get with Leopard. Quicklook is something I cant live without, I had to use tiger for a few weeks on mine and after using leopard it was torture, leopard is so much more streamlined than tiger ever was if you upgrade to leopard you will not be disappointed. You get a whole lot better programs like mail and its stationary and time machine works wonders. And with 2GB of Ram leopard is gonna fly on your intel. Every OS Upgrade so far has given speed boosts to every mac. I could probably be a little more convincing but you really have to try leopard yourself to see the differences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
I tried leopard for a week on my imac, and it didn't go well. I went back to tiger, and things are fast and work great again. (leopard was slow).

save your money. Unless there is some feature leopard offers that you "must" have... can't live without.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Leopard should run amazing on your machine. I've been sucking on a bottle of wine, so details are a bit hazy for me right now. The only pro for installing leopard I can think of is leopard was written for intel macs and tiger was written for power pc macs.

So, leopard takes a greater advantage of the intel processor and runs more native than tiger. Leopard has always been wicked fast on my 2.0ghz core duo and doesn't have as many bugs as tiger did running under intel.

Both OS'es are fantastic and you really can't go wrong with either. I'd say upgrade, I don't think you'll regret it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Leopard is fast and rock steady.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
I finally upgraded to Leopard myself recently, and I have not been dissappointed. It runs very well and I love the new features. The desktop alone is well worth it. ;)

OP
R
Reaction score
Thx for all of the replies guys, and ladies (I always say guys but you never know who is a lady) I think I am going to upgrade my macbook, One guy said that leopard takes advantage of the intel processors, I also have a powerbook g4 which is (ppc) would it be ok for me to upgrade that one as well and if I do this will I have to buy 2 copies of the leopard disks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
1. Only if the PowerBook CPU is over and above 867MHz.

2. Do not ask us as you should legally buy either a family pack or two copies.

OP
R
Reaction score
As I am new to the whole mac thing the powerbook was given to me a few months back in which I went out and bought the macbook from a friend because I liked it so much. I do not know if with it you could install on more than one computer. I was asking because I did not know apple's policy on this and exactly how it works.

What is the family pack?

a little more explanation on that would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4/4/320/Leopard, 12" PowerBook G4 1.5/1.25/80/Tiger
You need to purchase a separate copy of Leopard for each Mac you have, even though you don't need to authenticate each copy with the Secret Police like you need to do with Windows.

The Family Pack is an excellent deal if you have more than 1 Mac as the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th license all together come to about half the price of the first license. In other words it's about $100 for a single-user or $150 for the family pack.

Here's a good frequently-updated list of deals on Leopard single- and family-user packs:

Best Mac OS X 'Leopard' Prices

--Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.