Not sure when to get the new Macbook. Any ideas?

Reaction score
I'm currently thinking if I should wait till the 2nd refresh (probably next October/November), when the CPUs are even faster, when 4GB RAM is standard and/or when the price is lower, to get one. Everyone says get a Macbook when you need it but my situation is a little different.

I have a computer that works, a Windows XP Dell, that is about 5 years old but I want to get back on the OS X train and finally retire this old boy. I haven't used OS X since my Macbook was stolen in April and it shows. A lot of the tasks I used to know how to do on a Mac I'm getting more rusty at. Windows is eating up my Macside. I'm not sure when to get one at this rate. I know I will be getting a Macbook after Snow Leopard is standard on them ($$chaching$$) but price and processing speed are big determining factors for me. What should I do?

Reaction score
Couldn't you have claimed on your home insurance when it was stolen? Not sure how it works over there but in UK you would almost definitely be covered.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OP
L
Reaction score
I can't claim on home insurance, I'm a student and in a foreign country. I can get it insured but I'd have to do it when I'm home and when I buy the Macbook, since I'm only on a study permit in Canada.

I don't want to get one now because I don't need it now. My computer is lacking in memory and processing power but I'll need a new laptop sometime next year. I'm just not sure if I should wait till September to buy it for school or wait till next October/November when the second refresh comes. That's what I'm trying to decide in a nutshell. I won't be waiting any longer than next November. Either way I will be getting it next year.

Reaction score
I am confused... If you are waiting until next September, then why not just decide next September what to buy or if you want to wait a month or two?? I spent 6-month's loooonnnnnggg month's trying to decide if I should switch my windows to mac... it was the best decision I have made in a long time...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
If your plan is to get a Mac with Snow Leopard pre-installed anyway, just wait it out. I'd avoid this batch of MacBooks anyway simply because history has taught us that Rev A Apple products are usually the furthest thing from reliable.

OP
L
Reaction score
Yeah, that's true. From what I heard the first and second refreshes fix a lot of errors that may have gone unrealized in the first batch. I can wait, it's just getting harder and harder. 12 months is a long time!! I gotta be strong.

Reaction score
I'm currently thinking if I should wait till the 2nd refresh (probably next October/November), when the CPUs are even faster, when 4GB RAM is standard and/or when the price is lower, to get one. Everyone says get a Macbook when you need it but my situation is a little different.

I have a computer that works, a Windows XP Dell, that is about 5 years old but I want to get back on the OS X train and finally retire this old boy. I haven't used OS X since my Macbook was stolen in April and it shows. A lot of the tasks I used to know how to do on a Mac I'm getting more rusty at. Windows is eating up my Macside. I'm not sure when to get one at this rate. I know I will be getting a Macbook after Snow Leopard is standard on them ($$chaching$$) but price and processing speed are big determining factors for me. What should I do?

When 4GB is standard, 64-bit will be standard, computers will be able to take loads of RAM and applications will require more.
The best will never be standard. Whatever is standard will always be that times "standard".

I agree with chscag - it sounds like you'll always be waiting.

Go for it ;)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I'm currently thinking if I should wait till the 2nd refresh (probably next October/November), when the CPUs are even faster, when 4GB RAM is standard and/or when the price is lower, to get one. Everyone says get a Macbook when you need it but my situation is a little different....

I think it's going to be awhile when 4GB becomes standard. Even then I wouldn't get 4GB from Apple. ^-^"

OP
L
Reaction score
When 4GB is standard, 64-bit will be standard, computers will be able to take loads of RAM and applications will require more.
The best will never be standard. Whatever is standard will always be that times "standard".

I agree with chscag - it sounds like you'll always be waiting.

Go for it ;)

Yeah, 4GB standard may be sooner than we think. Snow Leopard will be the first Mac OSX to be in 64 bit standard. 4GB RAM standard may be in the second refresh by next October/November or by the 3rd refresh no doubt. 4GB standard isn't what I need, I just want 4 GB to be a lot cheaper than it is now, probably only $50 more than 2GB. It's currently at $150 more than 2GB so it'll be standard in a year's time. Can't wait.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Yeah, 4GB standard may be sooner than we think. Snow Leopard will be the first Mac OSX to be in 64 bit standard. 4GB RAM standard may be in the second refresh by next October/November or by the 3rd refresh no doubt. 4GB standard isn't what I need, I just want 4 GB to be a lot cheaper than it is now, probably only $50 more than 2GB. It's currently at $150 more than 2GB so it'll be standard in a year's time. Can't wait.

I don't have a problem spending that much on RAM. I just don't want to be stuck with the stock memory that Apple uses. They use a lot of different 3rd party ranging from Micron to Samsung. Not that these are bad or anything but I rather have low latency RAM that drains the batteries a lot less.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
Next September/October is along time to wait but if you don't need it now you should wait. Apple generally follow the same pattern in releasing new/upgraded products.

I believe buying next October would be the best decision for you.

OP
L
Reaction score
Next September/October is along time to wait but if you don't need it now you should wait. Apple generally follow the same pattern in releasing new/upgraded products.

I believe buying next October would be the best decision for you.

I don't have a problem spending that much on RAM. I just don't want to be stuck with the stock memory that Apple uses. They use a lot of different 3rd party ranging from Micron to Samsung. Not that these are bad or anything but I rather have low latency RAM that drains the batteries a lot less.

Hmm, there's an idea. Who would you recommend for low latency Macbook RAM? Does it make more of a difference than what Apple uses for RAM? I don't want RAM that eats up my battery life. The thing about Apple is that if you pick a 2GB standard laptop you're going to have to buy a 4GB RAM kit and discard the 2GB of RAM that was already in there. Apple uses 2 x 1GB RAM sticks and not 1 x 2GB stick of RAM. They used to do this about a year and a half ago but stopped. It's rather annoying. I checked Kingston and a 4GB RAM kit is about $250. That's why I'm thinking it would either be better to get a 4GB kit for cheaper (not sure where) or just wait until 4GB is standard.

Another thing that I'd have to take into consideration is that once 4GB RAM is standard there will be more applications that may require 8GB RAM (not right away but probably soon after). It goes on and on. Right now 4GB of RAM is more than enough and I don't really use a ton of graphical applications or games so I'll be fine. What more could Apple do with iLife and iWork that would make it eat up even more RAM? :Confused: While on that topic, what will iLife and iWork '10 look like? I doubt they'll make a new one next year. Those will probably be the only applications I use a lot when I get a new Macbook next year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
Another thing that I'd have to take into consideration is that once 4GB RAM is standard there will be more applications that may require 8GB RAM (not right away but probably soon after). It goes on and on. Right now 4GB of RAM is more than enough and I don't really use a ton of graphical applications or games so I'll be fine. What more could Apple do with iLife and iWork that would make it eat up even more RAM? :Confused: While on that topic, what will iLife and iWork '10 look like? I doubt they'll make a new one next year. Those will probably be the only applications I use a lot when I get a new Macbook next year.

That won't be any time soon. You can run Adobe Master Collection on 1GB of RAM (minimum amount). 4GB would be more then enough.

Like chscag said, if you wait "until" you will be waiting forever.

OP
L
Reaction score
Ok then, I'll wait until next October and then see if there is any buzz to when the 2nd Macbook refresh will be. I'll get them when they're released. Once the Macbook is refreshed twice most of the problems, if any, will be ironed out completely. Thanks a lot. I guess 4GB RAM standard doesn't really matter. When it's cheaper then i'll snag it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I'll be looking forward to the thread next October asking if you should wait even longer. ;)

OP
L
Reaction score
I'll be looking forward to the thread next October asking if you should wait even longer. ;)

Haha, I'll be asking if there isn't already a thread talking about when the 2nd refresh will be. I won't be waiting any longer than next November (potentially when the 2nd refresh will be), that is a fact my friend ;) .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.