• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Virus Protection For Macs?

R

robhimslf

Hello,
Ever since I bought my imac i've been wondering about viruses, especially since i've been known to download a bunch of stuff including songs. What would be a good virus protector to buy? And is Virex or Virux that comes with the .mac membership any good? Thanks -Rob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
There are currently zero viruses for OS X so using anti-virus software would be a waste of system resources. Only bother with anti-virus software if you network to windows PCs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
edgefusion said:
There are currently zero viruses for OS X so using anti-virus software would be a waste of system resources. Only bother with anti-virus software if you network to windows PCs.
exactly, theres also no spyware or adware.

OP
D

Danster

No need to buy any virus protection just make sure you have your built in firewall turned on and you've got no worrys :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
Macman said:

there is spyware, but not the malicious kind. there are a few companies that make "spyware" to track everything their employees do. example: MonitorXpro

duplicate thread removed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but thats more of monitoring activity, like apple remte desktop, not actually 'spying' on you and recording what you do.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I use to scan for viruses, then I thought, what is the point, if there are no mac viruses in the first place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
MonitorerX Pro website said:
MonitorerX Pro records everything each user writes with the keyboard and saves it. This way you can always check what each user was doing (writing) on the computer. Additionally, MonitorerX Pro takes screenshots on user defined intervals so you can view what the users were doing! MonitorerX Pro is running completely in the background, it is invisible in the Finder, Dock, ForceQuit menu and Login Items menu.

it looks like spyware, smells like spyware and tastes like spyware....... but i would hope the companies that use this have an agreement the user must accept before logging into a system with this installed. i think it might even be a law, but im too lazy to research it :tusks:

but in either case, it wont magically install like Windows spyware, and as i stated, isnt malicious or self-replicating

OP
L

london99

Macman said:

Hi Macman,

I didn't know that i didn't need norton?? Mine was just about to expire and was going to pay to for it to be updated. I thought allcomputers need anti virus software.

Confused...

Amanda

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no norton. in fact, I recommend y ou uninstall it now, its been known and still does cause all sorts of damage, does more harm than good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
yea norton has fecked up my pc so many times
id go for McAfee if you really must that just actually scans and deletes virus' like its supposed to

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its not necessary to scan for viruses unlesd youre networked to pcs.

OP
L

london99

Macman said:
no norton. in fact, I recommend y ou uninstall it now, its been known and still does cause all sorts of damage, does more harm than good.

wow really? I have had it for a year now..it expires at the end of Jan anyway....why is it on th apple sight that it says to get Virex if macs don't need it? Is it that they just want our hard earned cash?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if it hasnt caused problems yet, it will. it damaged my b trees at one time.

OP
G

Gar

its so refreshing to hear someone use the word feck on the net! irish??
i was just looking into antivirus stuff the last day. isnt it a bit dishonest(for lack of a better word..perhaps 'misleading') for norton to actually sell os x anti virus software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gar said:
i was just looking into antivirus stuff the last day. isnt it a bit dishonest(for lack of a better word..perhaps 'misleading') for norton to actually sell os x anti virus software?
its all about money. norton recently made up viruses for os x to scare mac users into buying their crap. they made a big deal of it, posted it online and such.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
Gar said:

no mate sorry im english, sheffield actually :p

im careful with language on new forums as some are dead tight on swearing

OP
L

london99

Macman said:
its not necessary to scan for viruses unlesd youre networked to pcs.

Macman,
If I have the mac going through a dsl two way router along with a dell pc does that mean that I should have anti virus software? :doctor:

OP
L

london99

inflexion said:
no mate sorry im english, sheffield actually :p

im careful with language on new forums as some are dead tight on swearing

hey hi I'm from Wisbech do you know of it? Living in America now but going back for a visit at the end of Feb.

And why did David Beckham go over to realmadrid? I have pondered this for awhile...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.