Airport Extreme Base Station not connecting after Firmware update

Reaction score
I recently updated the firmware on my Airport Express Base Station (think it was ver6 to ver7). After it successfully installed, the base station was flashing in the amber light and my computer was searching for the AWD. I left it searching for a while and decided to cancel the search, unplug & reinsert the base station and retry to connect. I left it until the next day and still the BS was flashing amber. I have tried to follow the steps on Apple's main support page, but the problem is I have no access from my laptop to the base staion:

From page:
If I have a computer or device that does not work well with an AWD with the latest update, how can I install previous (earlier) versions of firmware?

1. Open AirPort Utility.
2. From the AirPort Utility menu, hold the Option key (Control key in Windows XP and Vista) and choose Check for Updates....
3. Select the specific firmware version you require.
4. Click Download.
5. Select your base station and choose Manual Setup from the Base Station menu, or double-click on the AWD icon.
6. Choose Base Station > Upload Firmware.
7. Select a firmware version and click OK.

All options are greyed out as there is no connectvity to the base station, so cannot check for updates.

I have also tried to connect my Ethernet cable from laptop to BS as it says:
The first step in updating firmware is to connect to the base station. There are several ways you can do this. Here are two examples:

* Choose a base station's unique network name from the AirPort menu, or
* Connect your computer to the base station using an Ethernet cable.

However when I do this, it is still not being picked up via Ethernet (I unplugged and reinserted BS to no avail).

There is then a screenshot of the 'Airport Firmware Updater', I have searched for this in spotight and on my HD but do not seem to have it.

None of these options have worked - I need to know what I am doing wrong and if there is an alternative way to get my BS back on track.

Summary of the problem is that; I cannot connect to BS via airport as the BS is offline and cannot connect via Ethernet - laptop will not pick it up.

Any help or tips on this is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Have you tried booting your modem and router at the same time (POWERING
DOWN AND BACK UP OF BOTH) it worked for me.

OP
S
Reaction score
Worked by holding the reset button down for 6 or 7 seconds, while the ethernet cable is plugged in - I had reset it but not when it was connected via ethernet - it then picked up the base station and allowed me to enter new settings.

Glad to be workin again, thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.