• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Do you use AOL for internet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i have seen several threads having to do with AOL recently and just can not believe that AOL even exists. they had a huge call center in jacksonville, fl right across from the UNF campus that shut down several years ago. maybe i have become blind to there cd's in stores, or i just dont shop where they have aol cd's anymore. it is just weird to me. you dont have to justify it to me, i just want to know. thanks for you input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Honestly, the only people that I know that still use it are people like my dad (in his 60's) and my grandpa; old timers who don't know anything else and are either scared to switch or don't know enough to switch. No offense, but AOL is HORRIBLE and I can't believe they are still around either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
not since I quit working there in the mid 90s ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
wow I don't even think about AOL even when using AIM!!!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I used AOL at one time when I was living with a group of my family. We were sharing the house and rent and utilities and I got an AOL account and made 5 accounts, 4 Sub Accounts for them and I used mine once in a while for a different email address. This was back in the days of Dialup also. I had my own account with a local Dial Up ISP and it was much faster at the same connect speeds. I used that for my main internet usage and let the rest of them use the AOL and they liked it because it was easy for them.

Glad those days are over. I am the same way, I use AIM and iChat every day and do not even think of AOL anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Never once had AOL. Remembering back in the 90s when I really wanted to because it was the "in" thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT 512MB.
AOL's service in the UK is notoriously bad, and their browser & log-in interface is horrible.

OP
fearlessfreap24
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i used it as my first isp in 1997, back when 33k modems were lightning fast.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Don't forget that AOL is probably still the biggest Dial-Up ISP in the business. There are still plenty of people who don't have access to broadband based on a lack of infrastructure in certain rural and semi-rural areas.

What I do find astounding is the number of broadband users that still pay AOL for the "privilege" of using their crummy software, my in-laws included. Unfortunately, so many people were introduced to the Internet by AOL, so they just can't grasp the concept of multiple applications for different Internet-based services.

I wonder if anyone has ever considered building an AOL-like application that includes Web browsing, email, chat and IM all in one package, that includes a master database of mail servers and other ISP settings, so as to appeal to those that want that all-in-one experience, with instant, or nearly instant configuration.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.