Hard Drive Swap on late-2007 MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS
I'm thinking of swapping the Hard Drive on my late-2007 MacBook Pro.

Currently there is a 160 GB 7200 RPM Seagate ST9160823AS Hard drive installed in there.

I'm looking to replace it with a 320 GB 7200 RPM Seagate ST9320421ASG.

My question here are the following:

I have read that the Sudden Motion Sensors on the Mac notebooks are on the LOGIC BOARD, not the actual hard drive. The model of HD in my Mac right now does not have any kind of shock sensor on the drive (according to the model number). So does that mean I do not have to have a shock sensitive hard drive when I look for a HD upgrade?

Can anyone verify that the Sudden Motion Sensor feature on the Mac Notebooks are really on the logic board, and not the actual drive? Would it be redundant to have both the Sudden Motion Sensor and a Shock Sensitive Drive installed?

Thanks in Advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
In the hard drive swapping guide Here by ifixit.com there's no mention of the sudden motion sensor. I'm pretty sure it would be built into the motherboard, as hard drives are built standard for all sorts of end users. The 320GB 7200 looks good to me, I've currently got the 200GB 7200 and start up times are amazing, but I can see my 200GB running thin pretty soon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.