New or Old MacBook?

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to get a macbook but I don't know which one to get, the newer one or the older one. I've been going through websites and people say that the old one is better because it has firewire and the new one doesn't. What do you guys think?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Do you need Firewire? If not go for the new MB.

I don't use Firewire, and the new GPU is a pretty good upgrade. I'm going to get the new MB in a few months.

Reaction score
If you could use the better GPU more than firewire (and have the extra $300) then the new one would be better

if you need/really want firewire, stick to the old one

i think that it really comes down to that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
the question is what are you going to do with the macbook? if you are like me and just use it for internet, email, and some word processing or spreadsheets, then it doesnt really matter because cost would be the main issue. i would also say that you need to evaluate what type of peripherals you use or are going to use and then go from there.

Reaction score
The ole one is a great value!!! I have no interest in upgrading because it runs soooo smoothly!! I would consider the money factor...:$ :$

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.