Is now a good time to buy?

Reaction score
Ok, ok, ok, I know this is probably a stupid question, but I am really racking my brain over it and I would like a little advice.

I really really wanna buy an iMac, but I am just worried about the timing on it. You see, I figure that we are due for an iMac update pretty darned soon as the life cycle is getting up there where they normally give us a refresh on them. Do you think this might happen soon? I would hate to buy one and have it updated really soon after I buy it.

I say the hate to buy one now and have it updated soon after because it actually happened back when I bought my PowerBook G4 back in Oct. 05 (I think, cause I know its applecare is up on it on the 21st of this month). I got lucky in that case, though, because it was within the 14 day period and CompUSA let me swap it out for the new one.

Anyway, I guess what I am wanting to know is whether you guys think its fairly safe to buy one now, or if it might be better if I waited until the new ones come out? And what kind of upgrades to them they might give us with any new revisions of it? I know this update might not be until January, but then again it could be in November some time.

So, what do you guys think? I really would love some help on this.

Thanks!!

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Does the iMac fit your needs now? If it does what is the problem. I don't see any upgrades for the iMac anytime soon as they seem to be very strong. I think if you want to lasted Mac you will never be happy for too long anyway. Either way now or later you will have a very nice Mac that I would love to own.

Reaction score
If you need the mac to work or something like that, get it now. Otherwise, get it also now. If you keep waiting for the new you end up never getting anything.

The Alu iMac looks exactly like the new MB, MBP and the LED cinema, so i wouldnt be expecting a design change (at least drastically), if that is what you're after. And i dont know how much more you can ask for the imac's specs, nowadys you get 3.0 something C2D processor, 4 gigs of ram. Really you need much more?

OP
S
Reaction score
If you need the mac to work or something like that, get it now. Otherwise, get it also now. If you keep waiting for the new you end up never getting anything.

The Alu iMac looks exactly like the new MB, MBP and the LED cinema, so i wouldnt be expecting a design change (at least drastically), if that is what you're after. And i dont know how much more you can ask for the imac's specs, nowadys you get 3.0 something C2D processor, 4 gigs of ram. Really you need much more?

Nah, I don't need it for work or anything like that. Just to switch completely over from Windows and have good equipment. (my 1.42 G4 mini isn't cutting it anymore)

The looks aren't important. Was more concerned about the potential improvement in the innards of the iMac (i.e. maybe faster front side bus, or slightly faster processor cause I am thinking about the 20" 2.66GHz version, or maybe a better video card if they come up with one, bigger hard drive, etc.). Thats why I was asking about this.

Just don't wanna get it if there is the potential for something to be improved on it. Would be nice if they were to take the 2.66 up to 2.8 or even 3.0 with the next bump. I know thats not much, but it sure looks good on paper. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
It looks like the product cycle is coming close to the end.(see attached pic) But it could be up to 100 days from now. I'd say MacWorld '09 you might see some updates. Maybe sooner.... Or later...

Picture 3.png

OP
S
Reaction score
It looks like the product cycle is coming close to the end.(see attached pic) But it could be up to 100 days from now. I'd say MacWorld '09 you might see some updates. Maybe sooner.... Or later...
Wow, thanks, that helped. I knew that part about the attached thumbnail you provided, thus the whole point for this topic. My whole point was to determine if there were 1) any possibility for that update to be sooner rather than later, and 2) any reasonable upgrades they could do to the machines to make them more attractive than the current round up.

My thought on the second would be that they might up the processor or up the video card, but aside from that, there isn't much that would make me want to buy something beyond what is already available.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thread is done. Bought a new 20" iMac 2.66GHz yesterday at Best Buy. Best Buy, the home of the most aggravating jackas$'s around. The people who will grill you with a bunch of questions when you tell them you want a specific machine and force sell you other things you don't want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4ghz and Upgraded PowerMac G4 Graphite with 3 160gb hds, 1gb ram, wireless, superdrive
i bought my macbook at what i believe was the right time. although i knew that the new aluminum macbooks were going to come out in a couple of months. i am so glad i bought it because the prices over in the uk were £300 more than the equivalent one i bought. when i first saw they came out i was furious but then i looked behind it and thought that i had made the right decision and got over it. at the end of the day it does what i want it to do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.