AOL Desktop is not AOL

Reaction score
Latest of the many problems with my iMac is getting onto America Online. I had to download the Mac version of the program from the aol site, and I was given AOL Desktop. Nothing is the same here except my buddy list. All my favorites are gone and the chat rooms are different. Also, if this is a public computer, when you open the AOL desktop, anyone could see your private screen names and mail without a password. Any advice?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have not messed with AOL in a long time on either Windows or OSX. I know the OSX version is way different which is AOL's fault. That could be what you are seeing, but it's been a long time for me and AOL.

Reaction score
AOL classic vs. AOL desktop

I've just spent about 5 frustrating hours trying to help a friend with an "AOL Problem."
My friend prefers having AOL features in one place:

The AOL desktop has a FAVORITES bar, but does not have a "recently deleted" feature for emails.

When you use the classic AOL version, it does have the "recently deleted" box, but we have not been able to show favorites.

(The PC version is NOT a problem; it has both!)

Are we over-looking the obvious? Is there a way to import and show the favorites without a one-by-one copy and paste between the two programs?

Your help is most appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm pretty sure AOL hasn't updated that software in a very long time.

I'm not sure there's much we can do to help get that working, but there are many alternatives that are much better options if they'd like to come into the modern internet era.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I just so sorry for you still being with AOL. You need to do yourself a big favour and move to a decent ISP. Just my two penn'th worth. (2 cents worth for our American cousins!)

C

chas_m

I have to point out that whatever you may think of AOL -- and I don't think much of it -- it is completely free of charge and has been for years. They're not an ISP anymore.

AOL Desktop is an attempt by AOL to move most of its services into the default Mac apps where they should have been all along. The Address Book on AOL moves into Address Book, the email moves into Mail and so forth. This is probably what is confusing the OP.

Look over the help pages on AOL's own site and it will probably smooth the transition. I frankly don't expect AOL to last too much longer but if you want to stick with it to the end, just remember that AOL Desktop isn't *intended* to be like the old AOL program, it's designed to *integrate* AOL into your "real" internet experience. I think that's the key to understanding it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
In the UK AOL still exists as one of the lowest rated ISP. However on checking I see that it was bought out by Carphone Warehouse in 2006 but retains the AOL name.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
I have to point out that whatever you may think of AOL -- and I don't think much of it -- it is completely free of charge and has been for years. They're not an ISP anymore.

I dont know about the states but in the UK there about the most expensive of them all, as well as the worst. My advice would be to dump them asap they really are the lowest of the low

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It doesn't really matter as AOL just purchased the "Huffington Post" for $315 Million which tells me they're now getting into the business of blogging rather than being an ISP. They really were never any good at being an ISP anyway.

Reaction score
I have been afraid to install AOL on my Mac. Does anyone know if it installs files all over. It use to be almost impossible to delete all the different files it use to spread on my old PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I have been afraid to install AOL on my Mac. Does anyone know if it installs files all over. It use to be almost impossible to delete all the different files it use to spread on my old PC.

Why do you even want to install AOL? I'm sure we can help you find alternatives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Then save yourself the trouble unless you enjoy dealing with Indian call centres who haven't a clue. Changing away from AOL was one of the best things I've done short of moving to mac. I'm sure getting married should be up there as well so don't ask me to rank them!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.