iPhone 3G GPS... where?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
Hi all,

I'm less than a month away from getting an iphone 3G as my current phone contract runs out then and I sent for my PAC code today from Vodaphone so I can waltz into O2 when the time comes and get my iphone! Woot!

Anyway, went to the Apple store today in Bristol to check out the new laptops (mmmmm - tasty) and whilst in there spent some time on the iphone.

A helper guy came over and asked me if I wanted to know anything about the iphone. I wanted to know how to get the blue blip gps tracker thing up in google maps.

"Ah, yes, press here...(maps app) now here (location button) and there you are!"

"No, I meant the blue blip, the gps tracker, where is it? how do I get to it"

"Ah, yes!, ok, press here (peely corner to bring up settings) now here (hybrid button) and now you can see the satalite image AND the streets! see, where right here!"

At that point I said "Oh gee, thank you, much clearer!" and walked off back to the new laptops.

Basically, can anyone tell me, on the iPhone 3G how you get the blue blip GPS thing up in Google maps? I have tried this before on in store phones and it never works, and my two friends who have iphones show me it but never show me how they get it up, it's just 'there' and I am too afraid to ask them as I am deemed so Apple that if you cut me I might bleed Apple juice.

So I'm humbling myself and admitting this is the one thing I don't know, and the net throws no answers at me.

Anyone?

Mel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
When you open Google Maps on the iPhone there is a Grey cross hairs button on the bottom left of the screen. Touching that will enable the iPhone to find your current position via GPS. It likely did not work in the Apple store(s) because GPS tends to work poorly indoors unless you are near a window. Once you are outside and touch that button the iPhone will use the cell towers to triangulate your general position and then use GPS to get the actual position.

OP
melmation
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
Ah! thank you for replying, that all makes sense. for some reason I thought the GPS feature would have had it's own activation button. But if I get what you are saying, them the GPS function is just an extension of the locator function in google maps.

Thank you,

Mel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Ah! thank you for replying, that all makes sense. for some reason I thought the GPS feature would have had it's own activation button. But if I get what you are saying, them the GPS function is just an extension of the locator function in google maps.

Thank you,

Mel
Yep, that is correct!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.