iMac performance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 15" MacBook Pro 2.8 i7, 8GB, OS X 10.6.8
I've been a new Mac user for about 3 months now, I purchased a refurbished, 2.16Ghz 24" iMac from apple.com. After purchase I gave it to a friend who's owns a successful business as a certified apple reseller, certified repair tech, and what ever else certified, (he's been doing it for almost 20 years, so it's not just "some guy I know", he really knows his stuff). Anyway, he wiped out the computer, then gave me only what I needed, got the most up-to-date stuff, maxed the RAM (3MB), and then played with it for about 2 weeks making sure everything was A-OK. He called me in showed me how to work it, and was I very impressed. This thing was blazing fast, you touched the power button and it was on and everything up and running in literally one-second. Click on a program, and it opened right up. This was 3 months ago.

Fast forward to today, I have really barely installed anything on it. I've upgraded from 10.5.3 to 10.5.4, and besides that I've plugged in an external HD to store my photos. I also do the repair permissions thing about once every 2 weeks. I don't even have too much time to use the dang thing, but I have noticed it slowed down. It takes a few seconds to start from shut down, programs take a little longer to load (the little program icon on the dock will bounce up and down for a bit then sometimes jump up and bounce again before loading), and the worst is, and this is a very recent thing, is that when the screen saver is on I can't get back to the desktop. I'll move the mouse or hit a key and the screen saver will stop moving, but won't go away, the mouse cursor will move around fine, the clock and some other things on the desktop will show through the frozen screen saver image, and if I right click, an options box will pop up but won't close. It will keep doing that every time I right click, so I'll have a bunch of frozen option boxes on the screen, on top of the frozen screen saver image. Well then I have to reset.

Well I've said more than enough, before I take it back to my friend I want to try and troubleshoot this myself. He did me a favor and I don't want to be a pain-in-the-PC.

Thanks in advance for all your help and for reading this novel.

Christian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Well first, I would say update to 10.5.5 if you already haven't (you said you have 10.5.4). Sometimes quirky things can show up that disappear with all the latest updates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Also take a look at OnyX. Tons of cool maintenance stuff in there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.