Help Choosing Software !

Reaction score
Right Hello !

Im new on here, and after looking through the site decided that it was a good to place to fire my questions!

I am also new to the whole Apple world too....

I am planning on buying a Mac Mini :) And the only thing that is currently stopping me is, MS Office. I work at home on my Dell with MSO 2003 and at college on 2007, I switch between the two editing/creating new files with relative ease and no problems.

So, when I buy a Mini what software do I buy, It needs to not conflict with my current MSO files and docx files, and I need to be able to create new files on my Mac that dont conflict with MSO 2007 at college ! I will need things like Word, Powerpoint and Publisher (maybe excel)

I have heard MS Office 2008 for Mac is not great, and I am now ensure what to do ! What do I buy ?

Any help will be great, thanks in advance

Mike.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
MS Office 2008 for the Mac is compatible with Office 97 - Office 2007 for Windows. Which also includes the newer Office 2007 file formats. However, Office 2008 for the Mac does not include Access or Outlook. Entourage which is included is somewhat similar to Outlook but on a smaller scale.

I use both Office 2008 and Office 2007 in my work. While I agree Office 2007 is better, I have no problems with 2008.

MS Publisher is only for Windows. No version for the Mac. There are several other publishing programs for the Mac which are as good or better. Apple has an office suite called "iWork08" which includes a word processing\publishing application called "Pages". It works fairly well as a MS Publisher substitute and is less expensive.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
You won't have a any issues with Mac Office 2008 with college work, unless you're doing VB or using Excel Macros. Whoever said it's "not very good" might just looking at what comes with PC Office.

Also, while you get Outlook with Office Professional 2007 (goodbye $400) you certainly don't get it with Office for Students on PC. Whereas Mac Office 2008, you get Entourage with either (the student/home version lacks exchange support).

OP
M
Reaction score
You won't have a any issues with Mac Office 2008 with college work, unless you're doing VB or using Excel Macros. Whoever said it's "not very good" might just looking at what comes with PC Office.

Also, while you get Outlook with Office Professional 2007 (goodbye $400) you certainly don't get it with Office for Students on PC. Whereas Mac Office 2008, you get Entourage with either (the student/home version lacks exchange support).

Thanks for your quick response !

I have now looked into iWork 08', which from what I have read is compatible with MS office. Have you had any experience with it ? And does it work ok with MS office ?

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
You could also try OpenOffice. Version 3 was recently released and after installing it I have subsequently removed Office 2008 (£300+ I'll never see again!).

Have a look here

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
How about buying Parallels which allows you to run XP and use the disk you currently own. It allows PC/Mac seamlessly and only $80 for a license.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.