Help Please...!

bxl

Reaction score
:[ I left my G5 on (sleeping) over night and there was a power cut... when I found my computer this morning, the little sleeping light was on but nothing happens when I try to switch it on... I even unplugged the power cable and when I plug it back the problem persists, the light is on but no reaction... tried pushing the power button for several seconds and nothing... any ideas? I'm seriously panicking here... any help will be much appreciated... sorry about my english... thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Your english is fine:). Do you keep your computer plugged in to a surge protector? It is common for power to surge during an outage, which can cause damage to sensitive electronics.

When you switch the computer on after unplugging it, do you hear the normal startup chime? Can you hear the drive(s) spinning up and do your peripherals work? Try hitting the caps lock button on the keyboard after the system has had time to boot and see if the light comes on. If it does, then there is a good chance the system is booting but you are not getting video for whatever reason. Maybe try resetting the PRAM by holding down Cmd+Opt+P+R at boot until you hear three chimes.

What type of G5 is it? (iMac, PowerMac?)

OP
B

bxl

Reaction score
Thanks for replying man... I don't have a surge protector, didn't even know about them until now... my fault... I can't hear anything at all... just the little light remains on but there's no booting of any kind, no sounds, no beeps... I have a G5 dual 2.5 Power Mac

OP
B

bxl

Reaction score
there is a bit of a click when I plug the power cord back

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
What color is the light that you are speaking of?

I had an issue where I lost power and since I had AppleCare I took it in. Apple reloaded my system that time. The other time I am not sure of what the initial problem was but they tried to replace the logic board.

OP
B

bxl

Reaction score
The white light that goes on when you put the computer to sleep... man, I'm freaking out... someone said it could just be some sort of electric resistance (don't know if that's the right word in english)... I'm so afraid that the whole system might be damaged, burned... is that possible from a power cut?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It sounds like the power outage and subsequent power surge could have caused some damage to your logic board. You should always use a surge protector and never plug a computer (or any other sensitive electronics) directly into a wall socket. Your best option is probably to bring it to an authorized Apple repair shop for an in depth diagnoses.

Hope everything works out ok, and in the future invest in a decent surge protector!

OP
B

bxl

Reaction score
sorry is taking me so long to reply but I'm stealing time from my girl's portable

OP
B

bxl

Reaction score
I will man, got the lesson right... if that's the problem can I still get back my system? I'm not under warranty anymore so do you think that's an expensive repair?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it is a logic board then yes it will be expensive (probably between $400-600 for just the part), but you probably didn't lose any data from your hard drive. If it is a logic board problem, then once it is replaced your computer should be the same as it was before.

OP
B

bxl

Reaction score
well, I've been reading over the Internet that G5 Power Macs just don't make it through the 3 year mark, it's actually quite disturbing... so many folks with the same problem with slight variations but basically the same deal with the Logic board dying after 3 years... any comments?

OP
B

bxl

Reaction score
well, i guess i'll have to contact my apple technic service first thing in the morning... got to go to bed now, it's quite late here... thank you very much for your help... you got to love forums!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.