MBP late 2008, disconnecting the power while in "performance" 9600M GT mode

Reaction score
Hi all. The title says it really. My old MBP broke just in time to collect the insurance and get me the new shiny (no pun intended :) MBP. I am a bit unhappy about the GPU but, what worries me most is this exactly question. What happens when you unplug the power while on "performance" 9600M GT mode. Its very common to just be asked out of my office with my laptop to go and help someone else or waterer other reason. What I usually do is just unplug the power and go. I am sure I will keep doing the same. Its very comon as well if on the couch, to accidently unplug the cable (thanx magsafe :) . I know in the release says that you have to log out to switch, as well it says that the 9600M GT mode works only with power plug connected, but doesn't mention unpluging. Does that mean that the MBP will crash each time I do this That will be a nightmare. Maybe someone here that already got one of the new MBP can check this??

Reaction score
Well that's irritating. the 9600 only works while plugged in? This is why I like Windows, it lets you choose the way you want things done.

OP
H
Reaction score
:eek: no one else is worried about this potential problem!?! Maybe I am mistaken, maybe the 9600M GT use doesn't depend of being connected or not to external power?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sawtooth G4 and PB G4 w/FW800
The 9600M will work fine on battery power, it just will drain the battery faster. You will have no issues unplugging it while it is running. Did you read something that tells you otherwise?

I've already seen benchmarks on battery life comparing the 9600 to the 9400 GPU on the same machine (can't benchmark battery life if it's plugged in).

The difference was about 30-40 minutes while running a DVD in the DVD drive.

Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Hi all. The title says it really. My old MBP broke just in time to collect the insurance and get me the new shiny (no pun intended :) MBP. I am a bit unhappy about the GPU but, what worries me most is this exactly question. What happens when you unplug the power while on "performance" 9600M GT mode. Its very common to just be asked out of my office with my laptop to go and help someone else or waterer other reason. What I usually do is just unplug the power and go. I am sure I will keep doing the same. Its very comon as well if on the couch, to accidently unplug the cable (thanx magsafe :) . I know in the release says that you have to log out to switch, as well it says that the 9600M GT mode works only with power plug connected, but doesn't mention unpluging. Does that mean that the MBP will crash each time I do this That will be a nightmare. Maybe someone here that already got one of the new MBP can check this??

Where did you read this? I did not hear this during the keynote, nor have I read it anywhere. PLUS, I HIGHLY doubt that it would cause the machine to crash if you pulled the battery cable, Apple isn't stupid.

OP
H
Reaction score
thanx celica73, panic mode off :) I think i got confused. Realy makes no sense what i was thinking. What i confused is that it doesnt make the switch between the cards when you disconect which is perfectly fine.
In that case actualy its pretty cool solution. Work on "performance" mode as much as you fancy , but if you start getting concerned about the battery just switch over. Logging out is not such a big deal. Thanx again :Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.