My USB flash drive won't connect to my Mac

Reaction score
A month or so ago I tried to plug my falsh drive(bought in popvoucher)into my MAC to send some photos. The USB said it was being charged but the MAC seems to have no linking that it's connected. I can't force it to pick it up when it can't see anything there at all. I've not been able to connect it to the MAC since
Can anyone suggest what might (not) be happening?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Sorry, there seems to be some confusion here. You say "was being charged". Do you mean that you could see the LED activity light showing on the flash drive? That means the flash drive is being powered from the USB port on the Mac. If the drive is being read, the light flickers repeatedly.

So the Mac does not recognise the drive. Did it mount as a Disk Image to the desktop (I guess not)? Did you use Disk Utility to see if the Mac was recognizing the flash drive?

I think there is a formatting problem. If the flash drive has nothing of great value on it, then reformat it FAT32, which means you can use it in either a Mac or Win environment.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
hugh's got it here i think: "Did you use Disk Utility to see if the Mac was recognizing the flash drive?"

see if it shows up there, if it does, you can try to mount it or remount it, or if all else fails, format it.

if it won't show up at all, see if it will show up on another computer. if it will format it anyway and then see if it will show up on your mac.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Exactly what brand and model flash drive is this? Flash drives are not charged so I am curious exactly which one it is. Also how is it formatted?

Hugh and eric had excellent suggestions. Let us know what happens and the info I asked for if you would.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i'm going to guess by "charging" he just meant that the drive light came on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.