New Mac User

S

sdg520

I'm new to Macs (well I used one at work a looong time ago) and I'm new to user forums, so I hope I don't make too many faux pas.
My Mac: an Imac G5 20" with 1.8ghz, 512mb, 160gb. Plus a 40gb 3Gen Ipod.

Hey, this machine is awesome. I'm having a great time with it. But my old machine was so old, that I'm wondering if the flip from PC to Mac is as great as I think it is. I had a 333mhz clone (and that was a processor upgrade). It had a 13" monitor and 3gb hd, 92 ram. Not only that, but I had a 56k dial up with free access (10 hours months) through Netzero. I think I was one of their original customers. Now I've got a 5mhz cable pipe.

How I use my mac: I constantly have 10+ windows open. The F9 Expose feature rocks. My machine is either full on or in sleep mode. I have music streaming from KEXP (awesome!!!) uncompressed at 1.5mhz most of the time. Really what my Mac is turning into is an extremely sophisticated communication and music device.

I have a list of things I would have done differently in my Mac purchase, things I'd do the same, some gripes, and quite a few raves, but I think I'll wait to see if I get any responses before I start listing those.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Congrats, I love my iMac G5 also.. great purchase :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
cool, you know you cam also use F10 and F11, right?

OP
S

sdg520

One thing this former PC user would have done differently:

Not spent $150.00 on MS Office. First of all, lots of people (I found out later) have extra licenses that they would have given me if they'd known I was getting a Mac--the student/teacher version comes with 3 licences; second, I could have gotten along with apple works--Office is way more sophisticated than I need; third, Mac's got a new iwork program that looks like it could fill the need for half the price--and be apple native.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.