Router Problem!!! Fios

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17-inch model 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
Well i just got verizon fios, internet,tv, phone service. I currently use apple airport extreme for my router. When verizon hooked up fios , i now have the HORRIBLE M1424-WR router. Verizon said i cant use my airport extreme with there system???? Everything i have been reading on the internet sais it can be done but Verizons actiontec router must be bridged? i am hoping someone knows how to configure these two routers to work correctly. I also read that since i have fios tv i have to keep my actiontec router on because it uses the coax connection!!. I only have coax coming from the ONT outside to the actiontec router in my house.

I plugged the airport into the action tec to see what would happen and i got a pop up saying airport needs to run in bridge mode??? It also cut my 20m internet speed down to 8 by connecting the aiport router.

Also what do all these people do if you allready have gigabit ethernet, are u suppose to settle for 10/100 with only a&b ,,, it makes no sense!!!!

any suggestions would be great, i am stuck!!!

Josh :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you have FIOS TV service in addition to FIOS internet, you must keep the small unit Verizon gave you hooked to the FIOS cable in order to display the TV guide and pay per view on the TV screen. It has nothing to do with the net connection and can be disconnected, however if disconnected, you will not receive the guide or have access to pay per view.

And yes, you can use the Airport Extreme router instead of the one Verizon issued you. I don't know exactly what other equipment you have since you say you're also using FIOS internet phone service. I only have FIOS internet and TV. I kept my regular phone service.

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have fios internet service and tv service, they supplied me with the actiontec router.

I have coax coming from the ONT outside to my actiontec router. They did not enable cat5 option on the ONT outside. Although i had them plug an ethernet cable into it and leave it under the house in case i would ever have use for it????

So i am trying to bridge the actiontec so i can use all of my airport router functions and wireless etc.....

I am just trying to find the correct way to do this without screwing everything up. There are alot of posts of different ways to go about this, just not sure which one to use????

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
For FIOS TV service, the coax should be coming from the interface box (fiber optic interface) that Verizon installed. If you have several connectors in your home (for additional TV sets) then they also installed a splitter device either in your attic or basement. Each FIOS TV connector has coax attached.
Coax is also attached to the input connector of the small box which broadcasts the TV guide and pay per view signal.

For internet service, the FIOS cable likewise terminates at the interface box (which should also have a battery backup). However, from there they run CAT-5 cable to the router you were supplied. (no modem required) The router provides the wireless signal for your Mac. Additionally, a CAT-5 cable is run from the router to the small box which broadcasts the TV guide and pay per view signal info to the set top box which they gave you and hooked to the back of your TV set. (confusing isn't it?)

OK. If you wish to use your Apple Airport Extreme Base Station instead of the ActionTec router, you'll have to disconnect the ActionTec first and hook the CAT-5 cable to the WAN\LAN port of the Base Station. You'll also need to run a CAT-5 cable (ethernet cable) to the small broadcast unit from the base station.

I know this works because I have done it here in my home using an Apple Airport Base Station (not extreme). I disconnected it because my Apple unit did not have a CAT-5 ethernet output connector. The Airport Extreme Base Station does.

Right now I'm using a D-Link 624 wireless router with my FIOS setup and it works great. No bridging required. You just need to experiment a bit and make sure you can put everything back to the way it was before in case something goes wrong. You don't want to have to call Verizon back to your home because they'll charge you for the visit.

Regards.

Reaction score
I have Fios with my iMac 800megahertz, 10.4.11 and I took the advice of tom0147 who said to get Fios speed on a mac U got to system pref>network> Built in ethernet and in the DNS server enter 4.2.2.5, apply
and restart. Well I did it and instead of getting what the tech got on a windows I am getting 7727 download and 3903 upload, The tech got 20000 download. I think this tomo147 might have been a teen who thought it would be a big joke to enter 4.2.2.5
Any ideas in speeding this up like a pc?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have Fios with my iMac 800megahertz, 10.4.11 and I took the advice of tom0147 who said to get Fios speed on a mac U got to system pref>network> Built in ethernet and in the DNS server enter 4.2.2.5, apply
and restart. Well I did it and instead of getting what the tech got on a windows I am getting 7727 download and 3903 upload, The tech got 20000 download. I think this tomo147 might have been a teen who thought it would be a big joke to enter 4.2.2.5
Any ideas in speeding this up like a pc?

Yeah, frustrating isn't it? You're right about the static DNS setting, it doesn't work. What I did was use OpenDNS instead and my FIOS speeds returned to where it's just as fast or faster than my two PCs.

Not knowing what kind of router Verizon issued you, I can't give you the exact steps but I'll try to generalize:

Access your router's setup menu and go to WAN\LAN. Change the DNS settings that are there to these:

Primary: 208.67.222.222
Secondary: 208.67.220.220

Save the changes and exit the router setup. Now go to System Preferences, Network, and click on the Advanced button for Airport. Click on the DNS tab. You'll see the address listed for your router and it will probably be grayed out. It might say 192.168.0.1. Anyway, that's OK. Now click on the small + button on the bottom and add the same DNS settings that you put in the router. Click OK. Go back to Ethernet, click on advanced, DNS, and add the same DNS settings. Click OK all the way out of preferences.

Make sure everything else is OK - SSID, security, password, etc. Reboot the router and your machine. If everything worked out OK, your speeds should be back to normal.

Also.... be sure to write down all your old settings that were in the router first before making any changes in case you have to go back to them.

Let us know if it worked for you.

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Verizon Fios Router Fix

Here is how to use Airport router with fios internet and TV! No Bridge necessary!

It's really easy, just call up Verizon and ask the data connection to be switched from coax to ethernet, since the ethernet port isn't activated at the moment. They'll tell you that you'll lose video on demand and the guide blah blah blah and just tell them you know that. Once the data connection has been switched, just run an ethernet cable from the ONT outside to your airport extreme and hook it up to the WAN port on it. To get VOD and the guide for your set top boxes, just leave the coax connection connected to the actiontec router, and hook an ethernet cable from the WAN port on the actiontec to a LAN port on the airport extreme. You shouldn't have to change any settings on the actiontec. Then everything should be working and you don't have to deal with the actiontec router anymore. Hope this helps anyone that was searching the internet for hours like me!, worked like a charm!
19 down and 4 up!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To JDS:

Good info! However, some folks (like myself) have different equipment issued by Verizon - depends on your area. We use (here in the Fort Worth area) a D-Link router and a separate unit for VOD and guide. Substituting airport equipment for the D-Link is real easy and requires no switching or calling Verizon.

BTW, CAT-5 on our system runs direct from the ONT to the router, a separate coax runs to the VOD\Guide unit. Also an ethernet connection goes from the D-Link to the VOD\Guide unit. And of course, coax to the set top box.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.53 Ghz i5 8gb OSX.6.8, iPad 2
Has there been any progress on this Airport/Fios issue? I still cannot find a way to make these two components work together without losing speed.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
It can be done - with no loss of bandwidth. You simply set the AE in bridge mode, turn of NAS, assign it an IP address that's different from your Verizon router's, ensure that the Verizon router's active DHCP range does not include the IP you just gave to the AE, connect the Verizon router to the AE via cable (make sure you're in the correct ports) - and that's pretty much it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.