Thinking of an emac

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new here and I'm thinking of converting to a mac. I've been looking a lot on ebay and browsing the e macs and I really can't decide on one. I really want one that's upgradable to 2g's of ram and I want one that has 2.0 usb ports. I just had a few questions about the computer itself if i get an emac that has 1.1 usb ports can I upgrade them to 2.0? Is it easy to upgrade the hard drive and ram? Thanks in advance for the answers, I did some searching but I'm having trouble finding the answers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Hey everyone, I'm new here and I'm thinking of converting to a mac. I've been ... browsing the e macs and I really can't decide on one. I really want one that's upgradable to 2g's of ram and I want one that has 2.0 usb ports. I just had a few questions about the computer itself if i get an emac that has 1.1 usb ports can I upgrade them to 2.0? Is it easy to upgrade the hard drive and ram?

I hope I'll get in quick before the detractors have their say ;D. I love eMacs, but I do so with open eyes. They have their issues, the most notable of which is the capacitor failure. To combat that I'd urge you to look for the last model of eMac, the 1.42 GHz one. They did not have the capacitor problem. They're out there, just keep looking.

To get USB2, you'll need the April 2004 or later model. No, you cannot upgrade USB1 to USB2 on an earlier eMac.

You can go to a 500, even a 750 Gb (you want more???) hard drive inside an eMac. Maximum RAM is 2 Gb in the USB2 eMacs, even though Apple says 1 Gb.

Next: for all the possibilities of upgrading an eMac, and all their specs, look at any one of these links (in order of preference): 1) Lowend Mac Low End Mac: The Mac Experience, 2) EveryMac Mac Specs, Prices, Answers, & More @ EveryMac.com - Established 1996. Then download Mactracker Mactracker - a mine of information about every Mac ever made.

Easy? No-one I know of has ever described working on an eMac as "easy". Replacing RAM, or a battery, is simple, but beyond that you'll need guidance and manuals. There's a lot of stuff crammed inside an eMac. If I can help you with resources, PM me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Hah how befitting...Myself and Hugh, mac-forums's biggest eMac lovers answer 1st.
I'll throw in my two cents here:
The eMac is the best all around desktop ever made. My eMac has loyally served me for 8 months now with no problems. You may be saying "Oh 8 months, that's not too long." Considering I usually keep a laptop/desktop for a month and get another one...That's HUGE for me. It is RELIABLE, fast and most importantly, AFFORDABLE. 1.42 GHz eMacs sell for $250 on eBay. Yes a whole $250 whereas iMacs with the same processor sell for double, even triple. Just like Hugh said, be patient with looking for the 1.42 GHz eMac, they are out there. The reason why you don't see many of them for sale is because...Well...Not many people want to sell them ;) Get the 1.42 GHz model eMac and stay in touch with Hugh because he knows eMacs like I know Jaguars. (Women have said I've mumbled a complete teardown and rebuild of a 4.2 litre Jaguar engine in my sleep.) and you will be a happy mac user for years to come.

OP
T
Reaction score
Man you guys are awesome...thanks for the replies! I'm kind of slowly saving for one because I have a lot of other things going on right now that need fixed before I get one lol...So I'm going to take my time and get the money together and wait for the 1.42ghz. Hopefully I can get my hands on one by early December...you guys run photoshop at all on these things?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Yes, and photoshop runs wonderfully.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
It also looks like the 1.25 ghz has the usb 2.0 am I correct?

That's right. It's the model of eMac I use. The only reason I'd replace or upgrade it would be if I could get - and afford - a 1.42 Ghz machine.

Hey Jag, US$250 is a strong price for a 2-hand 1.42 eMac. That equates to about NZ$400. One sold recently on TradeMe for NZ$450 so they certainly retain their resale value.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.